1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cutting out and not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 AM
rwiley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I work 12 hour night shifts and as you see it is very late when I saw your reply. I will get the site info for you tomorow when I talk to my buddy. He is going to stop by the Dealer and see what they will charge me to test the PCM if they can. I assume they have the equipment to do so. Hope its not the PCM, that darn thing is expensive. Not sure what else it could be though. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated. At his point I feel like I am chasing gohsts. I drove the darn thing probably 60 plus mile tonight and did everything I could to make it cut off and it wouldn't. Intermitent problems like this drive me nuts. Problem is it seams to have gotten better to the point it is hard to find.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 PM
rwiley

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/D..._weather.shtml

Here is the site he was looking on. I did talk to a couple of folks today and found an older mechanic who is said to be very good on these things. He said he will be glad to look at it for $89 but said he kinda hated to because it would have to act up while hooked to his computer. He is worried about it being so intermittent and not being able to reproduce the fault. He did say that it in his experience, with it not throwing codes, it almost has to be either the coil, ignition control module or the computer. And the problem with it being the ignition control module is it is actually part of the computer on this model which makes the computer very suspect.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 AM
rwiley

Wow, just got through going through the site I listed above and several others I found. Sounds like I may have a PCM problem. Found several threads on those sites that had symptoms identical to mine. I feel better that they also tried many of the same fixes I tried. Bad thing is most of them had bad PCM's and each of the ones with identical symptoms as mine turned out to be the PCM. Hate to do it but I guess I'll be spending some money. Please let me know soon if any of you know something that will save me from making a $350.00 mistake!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to spend the cash then look em up on Ebay and get a pre-flashed PCM replacement. I think their like $199 shipped to your door and ready for direct install out of the box.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
rwiley

Am looking into where to get the PCM now. Just an interesting note. My mother-in-law asked how much I had spent on her Dorango and I told her she didn't want to know. She insisted so I guesstimated the amount at 600. She "Thank you, I'll paint your wooden fence white for you to repay you". When I told her I liked natural wood look of my fence she told she thought it would look nicer white. Was thinking of getting rid of the dorango for her. Now think I'll keep the dorango and get rid of my mother in law. Anyone in the market?????

Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Did u try a brand new battery in it yet a weak battery in these trucks causes the pcm to do all sorts of crazy ****

btw i looked briefly to see if the battery came up but coudnt find it and am on my phone so didnt loook too hard

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't want her.......LOL

Quick Reply: Cutting out and not starting.