1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cutting out and not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
rwiley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out and not starting.

Hey Guys, it's me again. Thank you all for helping me through my overheating problem. Now the last thing to fix on the motherinlaws ride and I can get off the couch. The overheating turned out to be a combo of clutchfan/radiator. Both needed replacing. Several parts later I was able to get it to run without getting hot. The reason for this thread though is it cuttin off and not starting for some time. Just like a fuel pump froblem I had with an old ford one time. Here is the catch. I think it is related to the overheating and here is why. While replacing the radiator today I took the hoses completely off. Needless to say I tore the stat gasket. It is leaking pretty good. I'll replace it tomorow. Oh but that is a good thing. Remember when the Dorango was running hot and would cut off and not crank up for a while???? Yeah I thought fule pump too but tonight with the Stat leaking I got more water everwhere than with it just blowing when over heating and the darn thing started missing and jumping and bucking. Shut off and didn't want to start. Bottom line is I think the water spewing when it was hot and the water now from the leaky stat gasket is getting on something that the Dorango don't like. Yeah could still be the fuel pump and I am probably gonna replace it for good measure because I don't want to have to get it back later, but I really think I'm on to something with this water thing. What under the hood could be getting wet and causing this. I got two codes A 1390 and Camshaft position sensor bank 1. Don't remember the number for the Sensor and don't know what 1390 is. They only popped up when the Dorango starteed bucking. Glad I ride horses a lot or this thing would have thrown me it was bucking so hard. Anyhow any clues to what could be getting wet and causing all the bucking and shutting off. I am sure something is getting wet. Help me off the couch guys!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 PM
rwiley

Oh forgot to mention, this is a 1999 2WD with a 5.9. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
rwiley

Got an oppertunity to drive the dorango for a while. It is skipping pretty bad at times and I pulled a code of 1391. Think this has to do with the cam shaft position sensor. what all could cause this????

Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be grounding out the alternator causing the issues.

As for the cam shaft position sensor, replace it.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
rwiley

Ran some injector cleaner through the gas and the skipping and bucking all but went away. But now I got a p0420 code. Think the cat could be stopped up. This would explain at least part of the running hot, the skipping and not sure about the cutting off. Drove it 24 miles home and 24 miles to work today. Ran pretty good but shut off at about 20 miles at a red light right after getting the check engine light. Took several times to get it started again. When I got to work I pulld the p0420 code. Does this help in locating my problem??? It is not running hot but seams to be struggling to stay within cool limits, around 190-200 degrees.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

id say the 190-200 is normal if you have the stock 190* t-stat

and
P0420 1/1 Catalytic Conv Eff, most likely a gad O2 sensor post-cat converter, try replacing that before the converter because the sensor is alot cheaper than a new cat

you could also have gotten the sensor wet and shorted it out (iv done that, but mine dried out and was fine)

Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
rwiley

Thanks, seams like all the codes are misteriously going away. Reset them and drove the dorango a bunch and no more codes. Not sure will keep driving and see. I have now driven the half tank of gas out that I added the sea-foam too and all the skipping and bucking are gone. I think it was the injectors. Not sure if all the jumping and bucking could have been cause for codes. It was really bad. Gonna replace the pickup coil and fuel sensor to see if that will help the cutting off and starting problem. It only does it after driving a while and when stoppong for lights etc. It then takes a while and several tries to get it running again. Once it starts it drives good. Really seams like the fuel pump to me. If the relay and pickup coil don't work I'll go with the fuel pump.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM
rwiley

Replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Drove it like I stole it and all seamed well. Took It home and had it's owner drive it. She made it one block before it cut off. I was in the passenger seat and as she slowed to almost a stop at a stop sign it cut off and would not start. Starter spun fine but acted like there was no fire. I got under the wheel and finally got it started. Drove it to town, took her back home and then brought it back home, heaven forbid. I still can't make it do it. Can anyone help???? Hydroshock, how do I check the grounding problem you are talking about with the alternator.
Let me recap. Will only shut off at or just above normal operating temp. Shutting off is very ramdom and is getting less and less frequent. Very random but I know something is causing it because it takes about ten minutes of constantly trying to start it to get it to crank. Can shut it of and it will crank right up after that or can drive it for mile and miles without getting it to do it again. Have replaced plugs, wires, rotarycap and button, cam sensor (pickup coil), fuel pump and pump relay. Ran seafoam through it to clean the injectors. Can't get it to throw any codes any more. Runs and idles extremely good now compared to what it did when I got it, just can't figure out this stupid random shutting off.

Last edited by rwiley; 11-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
rwiley

OK, got a lead. A buddy of mine found a site where a lot of people are having this very problem and replacing the PCM to fix it after replacing various other parts. Sound familiar? They are saying that this is a very common problem with the dodges and many are angry that dodge is skirting the problem and not admitting that the PCM's are bad. I am very new to dodges so have any of you heard this and if so how can I test the PCM without just replacing it. I have already replaced enough parts and am going broke. THe PCM is very expencive so there has to be a way to test it.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have never heard of a bad PCM causing this problem, nor have i heard of many bad PCMs at all (my family has been driving chrysler motors products since the mid 90's) which site is this? if you dont mind sharing

Quick Reply: Cutting out and not starting.