1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Free Heated Seat Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Scott Welsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
I bought a 01 RT last week, very nice truck just had a few very minor bugs, one of which was the drivers heated seat not working, the light just blinked. I broke out the ohmmeter and got to work.

1. Pulled front seat.
2. Determined which wire set on the seat ran the heat elements. Its the wire that has a second connector on it. The second connector runs to the second heat element. There is a heat element in the bottom cushion and one in the back cushion. The other electrical connector/wire under the seat runs the power seat.
3. Disconnected the electrical connector for the second heat element.
4. Use the ohmmeter to check each line to the heating element for an open circuit. If you have a meter with a beeping continuity check you should get a beep on a good heat element. If you find an open remove the cloth or leather seat cover for that heating element, either bottom or bach cushion cover.
5. Once the cover is removed the heating element is exposed, visually inspect the element for a scorch mark. If you find one that is likely where the open circuit is.
6. Repair the open heat element wire by stripping the wire a little bit and soldering it back together. Use heat shrink if you want.
7. Reassemble and put everything back together.

Took me like 30 minutes from start to finish, very easy and not as costly as buying a new heat element. Cant say how long my doctored wire will hold up but so far so good. Warm seats are great in upstate NY!!
Hello Brad,
Thank you for the detailed repair instructions. The driver seat heating element on my '01 Durango of 20 years quit heating 2 months ago so I will benefit from your instructions. I really appreciate folks like you who take the time to describe the repair job.
Best regards,
Scott

Quick Reply: Free Heated Seat Fix