1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Lower Ball Joints; How to get the boogers out??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 AM
monziac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont doubt they did. I dont put anything past these car comanies these days. I also noticed that the ball joint tools rented from the local auto parts stores, and the ones on line did not fit my ball joints. The sizes of the receivers were 2.25 and 2.75. The 2.25 was too small and the 2.75 was too big. I had to make them out of some galvanized pipe. I bored out a 2" coupler to 2.375 for the receiver and used a piece of 2" pipe to press them in. This allowed me to counter sink the ball joints to install the snap ring wihtout having to lower the car on to the ball joint press.

Jon

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Smart!

I lowered the truck on the ball joints then smacked the control arms down. The truck pushed them right in......LOL.....Now I can't remember how I got em out cause I didn't use a press?

Give me a lot of alcohol and tools and I'll make it work!......LMAO

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM
monziac

Hmm Alcohol is my reward for a job well done. It took me 3 days before I was allowed to have a beer on this project! LOL! Its funny, I was telling my wife how taking the control arms to a machine shop would have been admitting defeat. I just cant do that!!!! Its a personal thing with me to be able to do everything within my power myself without relying on anyone else to do it. I would rather spend $200 on a tool to do it myself than to take it to a shop and let them do it for $50. Making the receivers however sucked horribly! I had to cut down a 3" cut off wheel to 2.375" and the go sideways through a piece of galvanized pipe. Took me about 45 minutes to make it all the way through.... Passenger side ball joint came right out with little effort. It was the drivers side where I almost destroyed the control arm removing it.

Jon

Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM
monziac

Hmm Alcohol is my reward for a job well done. It took me 3 days before I was allowed to have a beer on this project! LOL! Its funny, I was telling my wife how taking the control arms to a machine shop would have been admitting defeat. I just cant do that!!!! Its a personal thing with me to be able to do everything within my power myself without relying on anyone else to do it. I would rather spend $200 on a tool to do it myself than to take it to a shop and let them do it for $50. Making the receivers however sucked horribly! I had to cut down a 3" cut off wheel to 2.375" and the go sideways through a piece of galvanized pipe. Took me about 45 minutes to make it all the way through.... Passenger side ball joint came right out with little effort. It was the drivers side where I almost destroyed the control arm removing it.

Jon

Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Smart!

I lowered the truck on the ball joints then smacked the control arms down. The truck pushed them right in......LOL.....Now I can't remember how I got em out cause I didn't use a press?

Give me a lot of alcohol and tools and I'll make it work!......LMAO
lol hydra, is it possible for you to function unless your plastered?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
lol hydra, is it possible for you to function unless your plastered?
To answer your question: NO

Working on trucks and liquor go hand in hand. It's like BBQ'ing and not drinkin, it just don't work!

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joints; How to get the boogers out??