1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Buying a Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The generally accepted perfect Durango is the 2003 R/T or the 2003 SLT+ with 5.9L

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!! I would have gotten the SLT+ just for the heated seats. LOL!!

I am not usually one for commercial merchandise plugs, but in this case I found a winner.

Along the lines of the transmision fluid/filter changes..

If you plan on keeping it for a while I strongly recommend the mag hytek transmission pan for the 4.7L 545RFE tranny. As you know or may soon find out, the transmission is sealed and factory pan has no drain plug. I have found out that most service facilities suck the fluid out then drop the pan to r/r the filters. OR maybe charge you for it, and tell you they did it. Either way, I am old school and try to change it every 25-30K and this pan with a drain plug and magnet mounted in the pan makes it a lot easier and cleaner for future fluid/filter removal/replacement. Here is the hard part. It is a little expensive initially but should pay for itself after about two-three changes. I paid about $300 for mine and had it installed at my next scheduled fluid/filter change. For that matter you could go more often than 25-30K but at your discretion.

Gasket: Their seems to still be the gasket/rtv sealant battle going on in some cases, but after installing the new pan and having a transmission R/R already I say RTV/SEALANT. This is one of the few times where I would say suck it up and hit the dealer. Alos remember the 545RFE trans has two filter, one flat and one oil filter type. the flat one came with my pan and since I was already at the dealer I got the spin on along with the RTV SEALANT. Depending on how liberal with the sealant you are one tube should be enough for two-three changes. THe MAG HYTEK pan is great and also comes with all new allen head pan bolts, allen wrenches, gasket and cut out for sending unit/sensor for optional transmission temp gauge. Another feature is the drain plug is along the bottom at the lowest point so pretty much about 90-95 % of the fluid is drained out before you take the pan off for the fluid r/r. JUst talking about it makes me want to go out and change my fluid...LOL!!!........SCRATCH THAT OUTSIDE TEMP CHECK JUST SNAPPED ME BACK INTO REALITY!!!!

Here is the link from the MAG HYTEC web site...good luck!!!

http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index...029ab06780f61b

Quick Reply: Buying a Durango?