1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

maintenance question!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance question!!!!

I got my oil changed at the dealer.(one of those lazy days, i didnt feel like changing it myself and i got a coupon lol) and after, they told me in the "near future" i should get my engine flushed. flush it with what? Gatorade? are those flushes bull s***? to my knowledge gasoline these days have a bunch of deterants to prevent engine sludge and crude building up. so bs or no? and what exactly does a tune up mean by dealership standards? just changing fluids spark plugs air filters etc?

last question, do those liquids you can buy at pepboys for like $14 that claim to clean your injectors actually work? like the techron crap you put into an almost empty gas tank and drive around for a bit? my D sometimes starts a little funny every now and then(guessing dirty injectors?). other then that its full of life. except for my leaking rack n pinion :/ any body know a good company to uy reman rack n pinions from? cause im not going to buy one from the dealer they want 400 + labor for it. id rather buy it for $200 and have them install it.

and lastly!!! does the 2001 durango have an fuel filter???

thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

We call it snake oil. I don't use in my car or truck anymore. I used it one time in my transmission, 3,000 miles later I to remove the trans and go thru it. Never again will i use it. If you buy chevron gas the techron is already in the gas. Tune up would be spark plugs,air filter,throttle body clean and injection flush. Rack n pinion you can buy and parts store. Fuel filter is in the gas tank along with fuel pump module. Is the dealer you were at, run by sonic automotive?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok HERE GOES

Originally Posted by mrwilliwizard
I got my oil changed at the dealer.(one of those lazy days, i didnt feel like changing it myself and i got a coupon lol) and after, they told me in the "near future" i should get my engine flushed. flush it with what? Gatorade? are those flushes bull s***? to my knowledge gasoline these days have a bunch of deterants to prevent engine sludge and crude building up. so bs or no?
BS, big time, there really is not need to flush out the engine, if you want to do it yourself, just change the oil, and put some seafoam in the crankcase with it, drive it around for a while (100-200 miles, one tank of gas, not long at all) and then change it again, crankcase cleand

and what exactly does a tune up mean by dealership standards? just changing fluids spark plugs air filters etc?
you would have to ask the dealer as i am sure that this varies from place to place, IMO it should include spark plugs, wires cap and rotor (if applicable), filters (air and fuel)

last question, do those liquids you can buy at pepboys for like $14 that claim to clean your injectors actually work? like the techron crap you put into an almost empty gas tank and drive around for a bit? my D sometimes starts a little funny every now and then(guessing dirty injectors?). other then that its full of life. except for my leaking rack n pinion :/ any body know a good company to uy reman rack n pinions from? cause im not going to buy one from the dealer they want 400 + labor for it. id rather buy it for $200 and have them install it.
there are a couple of the in tank injector cleaners that work, most of us use seafoam in it to clean the fuel system out, techron is good, there is one or two more that are worth using but ill be damnd if i can remember what they are called

and lastly!!! does the 2001 durango have an fuel filter???

thanks!
YES, unfortunately it is part of the pump, and as such is INSIDE the gastank (THANKS ALOT DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!) making it a PITA to change, my suggestion is to not worry about it unless the pump is acting up, and if the pump is acting up replace it with a NEW (never remanufactured) pump and be good to go for another long while

anything else????

Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha no i was just wondering thanks alot!! you guys answered my questions very well THANKS!

mastertech - no the dealer is just a dodge/chrysler jeep dealer a couple miles from my house.

Quick Reply: maintenance question!!!!