1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help Please- Durango stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
suzanne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please- Durango stopped running

I was going to work this AM, running 40 to 45 MPH, no signs that anything was wrong. Only items on were headlights and stereo. I was just coming up to the last redlight before turning into the parking lot where I work when the Durango just stopped. It was like someone just flipped a switch and turned it off. Lights, Stereo, engine, everything just stopped working. Fortunately no one was behind me or they would have rear ended me. I managed to put it in park and it restarted without any trouble, I got thru the intersection and just as I pulled into my parking spot it stopped again. No noise, no lights just dead silence. The check engine light did not come on either time. It was if it just decided that was as far as it was going to go. Its a 1999 2 wheel 5.2 V8. It only has 65,000 original miles on it. I purchased it new.

I called my husband freaking out and he called our road side assistance service, they came, towed it to the shop. The guys there have always done the work on the rig. They could not find anything wrong. They drove it everyway they could think of and it did not do it again. They let it get warmed up and tried and then let it cool down and tried. The thing purred like a kitten for them. They are stumped. The Diagnostics show no error codes anywhere. They checked the battery it is fine, no loose connections etc. The plugs, wires etc were changed 2 months ago and it was serviced last month. I have it serviced evevry 3000 miles. Please help. I am afraid that if it does it again, someone might hit me.

Suzanne

Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have seen this when there was a bad battery cell and it is floating around then it grounded out therefore grounding the system. I know you said that the battery was checked but did they Load Test the battery?

Second thing is maybe a PCM "computer" but you usually have some kind of power?

How old is the battery?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
suzanne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. The battery is less than 2 years old. Its a 5 year battery. I don't know if they load tested it. If it's the PCM, wouldn't the diagnostics get a error code? They got no error codes when they did the diagnostics. Two different service guys drove it trying to get it to do it again and it did not. They are totally stumped on this. They did the injector cleaner thing and said it needed to be done, but they don't know if this caused the problem or not. They just thought it was the only thing that had not been done to the rig so it was worth a shot.

Suzanne

Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be a a bad 140 amp fuse going bad in the PDC (under the hood fuse box) and it is a big one usually right as the power comes in from the battery.

Quick Reply: Help Please- Durango stopped running