1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 durango not starting, checked battery & alternator an its not that, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
swab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark28269
You have a bad solenoid/starter. Bang, tap ,hit the starter to dislodge the solenoid when it will not start. Then try starting it. Try it, I ran mine like this for a few months. On and off starter working. Good luck
i looked at this video and it told me to use this tester, is this not what i want to do? im not to smart with mechanical issues but i know how to following instructions, but in that video the solenoid was right near the battery but in my durango it isnt their and i couldnt find it any where, does it look different? if so, does anyone got a picture of it?

here's the video i looked at
http://www.ehow.com/video_2328097_di...id-system.html

Originally Posted by fascistfaction

ya no when i was looking under the hood i tried following the battery terminals but it leaded to unfamiliar things, i only know what the solenoid looks like from that video above ^^ i did not find that exact same one so im thinking it looks like something else in my model vehicle, i would really like to see a picture of it and where its located

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
Neutral safety switch? Do you have an aftermarket alarm system? If your problem appears again, when you try to start the D, pay attention to the gear indicator. See if there is a ring around the P. It's happened to me a few times. If the P or N don't have a ring highlighting them, then it's a neutral saftey switch. It's gonna cost ya. I've figured out another way to start the D, PM me if you need more help.
i do have an aftermarket alarm i got a viper alarm and i just tried what you said and there is a highlighted ring around the P and N when i tried starting in each one, that is all ok there. but when i kept trying i turned the key maybe 10 times and two times it actually sounded like it was about to turn over but it didnt start up it just made a sound like it was about to, and then it just started doing the click all over, my father thinks its the starter, he says those two times it tried starting were because the starter found some good teeth to catch on to, because earlier this problem was happing but after i kept turning the key it finally turned on, but now it doesnt turn on at all

Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i would say its a bad starter, but that is just where i would start (well after checking the easy to access stuff of course)

Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a huge difference between a solenoid click and a faulty starter. If your starter missed teeth and never engauged you would hear a little bit of a howling as it spun.

THE SOLENOID IS BUILT ON THE STARTER

Its generally a one unit replacement for either problem... Replace the starter..

Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the starter and double check all connections.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, it's not a faulty alarm. Go with the experst here, change out the starter and see what happens. ANd listen to your father, he may know more than you think. HTH.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 AM
rebelboy
Veteran

starter

Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
99D

I was just having the same problem last week, but it's not the starter...on mine anyways. At first I thought I it was the battery or connection issues. Nope. It was pretty low on water in one cell, thought I may have burned that cell out & lost the ability to keep a top charge. Charged it, tried it, no start, just a single click. I changed the battery, it was only 2 yrs old, so it was prorated & only me cost $30 for a new one. Anyway, still didn't work. I thought it had to be the starter. So I removed the starter and lost a little skin. Very tight! Tested the starter 3 times, worked fine. Solenoid engaged, etc... Tested the starter wires, grounds, etc....all was good. I thought, now what the "F" could it be? Reinstalled starter and everything worked fine. Started everytime. What the "F"!! Sometimes, if you take things apart & put them back together, they just seem to magically work....don't really know why. I'm thinkng either the the solenoid was jammed and removing it unjammed/unstuck it or it may just be a neautral switch that acts up as it wants to. I wait and see if it happens again. Or maybe the truck is just mad at me, she is a bitch sometimes....maybe I should go buy something new for her. It's been a while Bling! Bling!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you probably had a bad connection at the starter, when you took it out i assume you disconnected the wires which supply the power, and then had to put them back on, doing this cleaned up the connection enough that it now makes good contact and will turn it

Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Sharps!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM
99D

Connections at the starter were fine...tight & clean. As I said, I think it may have been the neautral switch. It may have just needed to be wiggled to engage it. It happens with age.

Quick Reply: 01 durango not starting, checked battery & alternator an its not that, please help!!