1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need some advice on 1st gen Durangos

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
big_nasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on 1st gen Durangos

Hey everyone I been thinking bout getting a 99 or 00 Durango and I just wanna get an idea of what I am looking at here. Mama gave me a budget of 5 grand or so and I seen quite a few in the $3,500 range. What mods would you experts suggest for me with about $1,500 to blow. I been thinkin cold air intake, i seen mean green's deal he made does that really work better? exhaust, is there a performance chip or anything like that available for these years? maybe body lift and tires to get me started. Only say body lift because they are like 220 compared to the $1,800 lift i saw online. Kinda new to Mopar only had one so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Big Nasty

Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smart idea on the body lift (and or T/S), all the suspension lifts out there are garbage. Any CAI will work, the main factors in purchasing/diy'n is the location and protection of the filter. No chips out there but you can get a programmer Sct/superchips/hypertech and or mopar perf comp. Exhaust wise (touchy subject-yyayaya) most would say is merely for sound but i'd like to say my headers/3" exh pepped up the beast (The factory cat flows great and shouldnt to be replaced for performance). In all honesty i would say start off with a cai and maybe the body and t/s. Save the rest till you have a good amount of seat time in the durango to depict the overall condition of the vehicle. Your eyes can only tell you so much on the condition of it, previous owners can be a beotch when it comes to servicing. That pretty much leads into looking for faults before before purchase and or finding everything possible before any type of lemon law/warantee runs up if from a dealer.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
big_nasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Duranged, this might sound goofy but what do you mean by T/S? What size tire would you recommend for a 3 inch body lift? I figure i could clear 33x11.50's maybe, bigger would be better but I don't wanna go into upgrading the axles and all that mess right off the bat. I'm out in Colorado and most trails out here can be made with 33's. It's gonna be my DD and camping/hunting and fishing/ play rig but I wanna keep it somewhat nice. I'm thinking bout finding one with the 5.9 any advice on that engine? what would you recommend?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recomend the 5.9 of course hands down..

The T/S ( others would jump out and scream "SEARCH" ) is a torsion shackle lift. It's the best thing since sliced bread and bacon in a bottle <~ ??? $80-90 for 2" of lift

Torsion adjustment (FREE)
The front of the 4x4 durangos use torsion bars as suspension- to adjust (8 full revolutions on the adjustment bolt) it would raise the front end

Shackle replacement ($80 or so depending on deals)
In the rear you would put Belltech 6400 shackles in place of your old ones along with some washers and wahlaa close to 2" of vehicle lift (this requires the temporary removal your factory hitch if installed for removal of the driver rear shackle bolt)

The T/S isnt hard but the price cant go wrong.. Although it would be a good idea to have your alignment checked afterwards.

Im a abuser of my D and its held up just peachy. The pics below are 3"body T/s

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Go with the 2000 or up as they have and on board OBD-II code reader and electric fan. Go with the 5.9L and either SLT+ or R/T.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on 1st gen Durangos