1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:43 AM
wdoll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 98 durango wont turn over

help please..have 98 dur..turn key and just clicking..engine wont turn over..been happening for several months..eventually will turn over but now wont..any suggestions..thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection. Clean all the connections first then if you have a clicking sound coming from the PDC (fuse box) on the drivers side under the hood then it sounds like you have a bad starter as this is a classic when they start going out. Here is a DIY on that starter:

Starter
Starter Replacement on the 5.9L and 5.2L and Starter Diagnostic Techniques.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-and-5-2l.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ck-in-and.html

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
wdoll
Default thank you..i will follow up to let you know what happened..

but i must ask..could it be the ignition switch?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM
wdoll
Default connections good

checked connections..actually replaced battery connections today as well...i will follow up with starter change..and great info..really appreciate the step by step process for the starter replacement..i have done several in my time on other vehicles,,,this could be alot quicker with your instructions,,,thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No problem!

As the relay is clicking that means the ignition switch is good. Just insure that the relay is good. There is a spare in the PDC you can swap but I still think Starter/solenoid combo.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds to me like a weak battery or bad starter and since it seems when it does run it runs fine im gonna agree w/ hyda bad starter/solenoid unit

Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 PM
professionalsql

Add me to the "Bad starter/solenoid" list. It's almost certainly a bad solenoid - which, for the D, means you replace them both (it's a combo unit). As hydra suggests in that very nice guide, I would stick with something that has a "as long as you own your vehicle" kind of warranty. Even with that guide, it's a major pain to change them out - you don't want the pain of paying all over again should the new one give way.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
311adb
Default Same problem 99

Wifes 99 did the same thing today. The car had no power, lights etc. but battery was showing 12.5v on meter. I did a bump with my boost charger and it took off. The engine would not idle on its own for some time. I have notice other threads that talk about the security system causing a no power, no crank or a no start condition. Whats your thoughts. AB

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Everyone jumping in on this one.....LOL

Again check all connections and relays then move to the starter.

One last thing you can do is see if everything is working proper but the trans is locked up is to measure the current on the battery when you have someone turn the key for you to start and see if there is a large load that gose on the battery. If a large load is noticed like around a drop to 11.4 volts from 12.7 volts then the trans may be locked up and not alowing the motor to turn over. If no drop then the problem is in conection or battery/starter gone bad.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM
wdoll

first..thanks for all the help..really appreciate it...as far as the D goes, changed out the starter and worked fine untilthis afternoon...fired it up and engine sounded like tatatatatatat..and power dropped to nothing,,turned key again and same result,,also after power was gone aloud ticking sound came from around the glove box..everysecond or so it was tick,,,tick,,tick,,very distint sound...checked battery connections I had done earlier in week and pos was loose..cranked it again and she started right up but now have check engine light on...do I have more electrical probs now?

Quick Reply: 98 durango wont turn over