1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango engine not cooling & blowing cold air w/ heater on

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
derickab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Durango engine not cooling & blowing cold air w/ heater on

I have been having a strange issue with my durango for the past couple of weeks. It started off with a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment but now has gotten to another level. The truck is now over heating and the heater is now blowing cold air. Now today I changed the termostat and radiator cap (just for good measures) but its still over heating. I checked the water pump but thats working and not leaking. I was thinking the fan clutch could be the issue but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the fan clutch is an easy check , open the hood and try to spin the fan, if it spins more than 1/2 a turn (after you stop pushing it)the clutch is bad (for reference mine stops turning pretty much as soon as you stop pushing it),

have you tried flushing the heater core? it could be clogged causing the low heat, and if the hoses are clogged at the right place this could also be causing the overheating if the radiator is clogged, so flush the cooling system and replace with a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water

Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
derickab

Just out of curiosity I noticed a spring in the hose where the rad cap goes. Now honestly I have never had any major issues with this truck since I had it. So all this is new to me. Is that supposed to be there?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
derickab

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the fan clutch is an easy check , open the hood and try to spin the fan, if it spins more than 1/2 a turn (after you stop pushing it)the clutch is bad (for reference mine stops turning pretty much as soon as you stop pushing it),

have you tried flushing the heater core? it could be clogged causing the low heat, and if the hoses are clogged at the right place this could also be causing the overheating if the radiator is clogged, so flush the cooling system and replace with a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water
You are correct on that part. The fan barely turns without the assistance of me. Going to change the belt but not sure if the pump could be bad but it doesn't leak or anything like that. maybe it does need a flush which I will also try.

Last edited by derickab; 01-04-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the spring is supposed to be there. It keeps the hose from collapsing if the hose fails. If you want to replace that hose, I'd suggest you go the OEM route. Aftermarket hoses do not have the spring.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by derickab
The truck is now over heating and the heater is now blowing cold air.
Your low on coolant.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
derickab

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Your low on coolant.
You know my dad said the samething. Then my crazy tail went and filled up the reserve tank and not add any to the radiator directly. I'm starting to feel like a donkey.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
derickab

Originally Posted by derickab
You know my dad said the samething. Then my crazy tail went and filled up the reserve tank and not add any to the radiator directly. I'm starting to feel like a donkey.

Thanks for the heads up!
Well I added some fluid to the vehicle and still having the same issues. Going to take it to the shop and get it checked out and possibly a flush and fill. When the air is on heat in the car there is a funny smell like something burnt coming from the vents. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well you let the reservoir go dry so it has air in the system. You need to keep the reservoir full and get some antifreeze in the system possiblly burping the system if it is a 4.7L. Speaking of which, what motor and year do you have?

One thing you can do is open the radiator cap and fill the system.

BTW<----- You should listen to your dad.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
derickab

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Well you let the reservoir go dry so it has air in the system. You need to keep the reservoir full and get some antifreeze in the system possiblly burping the system if it is a 4.7L. Speaking of which, what motor and year do you have?

One thing you can do is open the radiator cap and fill the system.

BTW<----- You should listen to your dad.
Well I have the 5.9 engine. I will try to get the system clear of air when i get off of work tonight.

Quick Reply: 03 Durango engine not cooling & blowing cold air w/ heater on