1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rust Spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
tm985
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Spot

I got this tiny little rust spot on the front driverside of my bumper. I was thinking about sanding it a tiny bit putting some primer on it and using a little touch up paint to make it look a little better. I didn't notice it until a few weeks after I had it but I figure if I do something about it here it will last for a while.

any suggestions??? I haven't done anything like this before.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds about right to me. Always good to see someone who will take care of the D. Just make sure you get all he rust out and a little around the spot to the bare metal before you prime it.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Give me parts so I can have only a lil rust.......LOL

Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Give me parts so I can have only a lil rust.......LOL
HUh?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tm, what year is the D?

98, 99 & 00s front bumpers will rust out completely... usually starting in the corners.

My achilles heal is the rear hatch lip.

IndyDurango

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

what you are looking to do will work fine, as mentioned just sand it down to bare metal and feather it into the existing paint so you have a larger area to paint and then prime and paint it, although it may be noticable if you just touchup the paint on that one spot, i did the entire bumper on my old dakota (sanded primed and painted flat black, looked great when i was done) good luck

Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
tm, what year is the D?

98, 99 & 00s front bumpers will rust out completely... usually starting in the corners.

My achilles heal is the rear hatch lip.

IndyDurango
I got a 98... The rear hatch has a couple tiny spots on the bottom of the door if you look close, also that spot on the bumper is just the start of it I wanted to try to delay it if I could.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
what you are looking to do will work fine, as mentioned just sand it down to bare metal and feather it into the existing paint so you have a larger area to paint and then prime and paint it, although it may be noticable if you just touchup the paint on that one spot, i did the entire bumper on my old dakota (sanded primed and painted flat black, looked great when i was done) good luck
thanks for the advice sharpshooter. I don't have the tools for that though, I was just thinking some stuff that I buy down at autotrader, although i have heard it won't exactly match. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on this i Just want to get rid of the eyesore.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

can you afford a can of spray primer, 2 cans of flat black spraypaint (maybe 20 bucks for the three of em but its been a while since i bought spraypaint :|) and some sandpaper maybe 50, 150, 300, 600 start with the rough (50) to get the rust off and to rough up the rest of the bumper take any crap off it, then work your way up until you get to 600 grit and have a nice even finish (any little bumps ect will show up) at this point you can wipe the bumper down with a rag soaked with paint thinner (dries faster than water and doesnt cause rust) then mask off the fascia (part under the bumper where fog lights mount) with newspaper and masking tape and prime it, let that dry then put 2 coats of flat black on it.(of course let the black dry in between coats )

btw this is soooooo much easier if you have a sanding disk attachment for an electric drill, but CAN be done by hand (the final bit of sanding MUST be done by hand if you want it to look right).
also you can take the bumper off i think its 4 bolts holding it on, open the hood and look down

not too expensive or difficult, and a nice intro to bodywork/painting

i also bondod up the corner of the rear bumper on my old dak and repainted it and repainted a section of the door, we bought the truck used and i was unwilling to accept some of the body damage that had been done to it by the P.O. so i set out to fix it, and did, just in time to get my D

EDIT just thought that i would add that while this is alot of work, its not difficult and is the only way i know to make sure you dont have any spots sticking out to advertise the repair

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 01-17-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 PM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
can you afford a can of spray primer, 2 cans of flat black spraypaint (maybe 20 bucks for the three of em but its been a while since i bought spraypaint :|) and some sandpaper maybe 50, 150, 300, 600 start with the rough (50) to get the rust off and to rough up the rest of the bumper take any crap off it, then work your way up until you get to 600 grit and have a nice even finish (any little bumps ect will show up) at this point you can wipe the bumper down with a rag soaked with paint thinner (dries faster than water and doesnt cause rust) then mask off the fascia (part under the bumper where fog lights mount) with newspaper and masking tape and prime it, let that dry then put 2 coats of flat black on it.(of course let the black dry in between coats )

btw this is soooooo much easier if you have a sanding disk attachment for an electric drill, but CAN be done by hand (the final bit of sanding MUST be done by hand if you want it to look right).
also you can take the bumper off i think its 4 bolts holding it on, open the hood and look down

not too expensive or difficult, and a nice intro to bodywork/painting

i also bondod up the corner of the rear bumper on my old dak and repainted it and repainted a section of the door, we bought the truck used and i was unwilling to accept some of the body damage that had been done to it by the P.O. so i set out to fix it, and did, just in time to get my D

EDIT just thought that i would add that while this is alot of work, its not difficult and is the only way i know to make sure you dont have any spots sticking out to advertise the repair
Any specific brands or anything as far as primer/paint?

Thanks again, yiou've been a lot of help. I'll save this and update the thread when I get it done (weather kinda crappy right now so just gonna wait it out til its a little warmer). I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Quick Reply: Rust Spot