1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
crate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump replacement

Hey all,

Well on way back from lunch waterpump seized up and broke belt. Called and will be $200 to have it towed back to fix at home. Dont want to spend that so thinking about doing it at parking lot at work.
So wonder if anyone knows the bolts sizes in advance to remove the water pump and if theres anything else i need to make sure i have with me when/if i go this route? 98 durango 5.2

thanks in advance...

Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not off hand, but someone will chime in shortly. Remember the fan also has to be removed and that might be an issue with the nut size/pulley holder

Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

The fan clutch nut is gonna be the hardest thing to take off.. have a spanner wrench so you can hold on to the pulley.. although if its completely seized then you might not have to worry about the wrench.. have RTV for the gasket, alot of antifreeze or water.. (your gonna loose alot in the parking lot) one more thing.. i suggest getting a new part instead of a re-manufactured one.. the remade ones tend not to last too long..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the bypass hose (small hose between the intake manifold and pump) replace the lower radiator hose and replace the pump. If you have never done one you probably shouldn't. They are really easy but you need RTV sealant, NEW water pump (not rebuild) Gaterback Belt (Auto Zone) and some basic tools.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
crate

thanks guys. i have change many waterpumps in my life just none on the durango as of yet. It's to rain all weekend so i might just have to bite the bullet and pay them to tow it home....

Last edited by crate; 01-22-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement