1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

35s on a 2001 Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Rabid Rhino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35s on a 2001 Durango?

I've just moved out here from the UK to be nearer the offroading.
I'm about to buy my first Yank Tank, A 2001 Durango RT.

So far this site has been really helpfull.
But.....
I can't see anything that says you can fit 35" tires on a Durango.
Surely the Rancho 3" suspension kit & a 3" body lift will do it?

I don't want to trim the fenders but will if I have to.
If so does any one do extended fender trims

I've always lifted my 4x4s and don't want to stop now that I'm here.

Joe

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Dislander
Professional

It may seem odd to some for me to say this but..

if you're not going to commit yourself to a solid front Axel swap 33's are about as big as you want to go.

In my opinion the lift kits for these trucks can be iffy & you'd be looking at like five inches plus a body lift. Not something you will want to take too far off road.

I'm going from memory here but, I think the big lifts for durango/dakota run like 1500 bucks. you could do a straight axle for that.

Start with 32'-33's & see what you have to go through to have them fit then decide if you want bigger.

Also there is already a weak brake issue that will be worse & you may lunch the front axle.

Throwing a locker in the rear will be a better way to spend your money.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Dislander
Professional

Thought I would answer your question in here, I went with the 33's because they where the tallest tire I could fit with the least in the way of mods. the wheel wells are intended to accommodate a tire up to a 10.50 in width.

To put it another way 33/1050's will tuck up into the wheel well without damage on a factory rim (where do I find that couch hidie guy).

there is no way a wider 12.50 could do that without landing the wheel well opening on the tire.

A 35 just would require so much to fit & then the extra cost of gears, brake upgrades & even more broken parts for just one little inch of ground clearance didn't work out to me.

Though I agree they would look really cool.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your suspension is at right height then it could work but only if it is set right and you will rub. Then again look here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...pressions.html

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Rabid Rhino

Went to Monster Jam On Saturdsay & met a guy with 33/12.50s on a 1999 Durango with just a body lift & the torsion bars cranked up the 8 times

I just ordered my Rancho 3" Suspension Lift Kit!!!!!!

Next on the shoppng list is the Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift plus a couple of other goodies as soon as my credit card recovers.

Also found a guy who got 33/12.50s on a Dakota so going to see him on the weekend.

Dislander, I'm looking at your photos. With some inner fender trimming Do you think 35's will fit with trimming.

Rear
From my Samurai days there were axle relocator plates that moved the axle 0.75" which would get the rears away from the doors but would obviously require trimming the rear of the arch.

Front arches..... More severe there.

Anyway guys, get ready for more questions on other bits

Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 AM
Dislander
Professional

No, even at the same width a 35 on my truck would rub hard even with the fender liners out. the bumper end of things is not much of a concern, when you don't mind cutting, nor is it impossible, if your of a mind, to get the rear axle located back a bit. up front is where the problem is. to maintain turn radius & prevent rubbing the floorboards at same time.

All I can say is get the lift(s) installed & find a place that will let you test fit If your buying local I can't imagine they wouldn't put one on for you. once it's on the truck you'll know what you'll be dealing with from there to make them fit.

I have not heard good things about big tires & the stock front end, something to keep in mind.

Also remember Mine is a 10.5 & I have not seen a 35 in less than 12.5.

Neither I nor anyone I know has done 35's on a D. I don't have much in the way of direct real world advice or caution for you.

Quick Reply: 35s on a 2001 Durango?