1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Miscellaneous Towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
craig_bci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Make sure you have the 3.92 gearing cause it does sound like you have the factory tow package. You can look under the hood in the PDC fuse panel for the Tow relays.

You should have the IV receiver if you have the tow package and 392 gearing.

The transmission cooler is located between the condenser and the radiator. If you open the hood there is a little rubber strip between the two. Look under this strip with a flash light and see if there is a transmission cooler.

As for the lil light blue harness plug in, it is very high above the emergency brake but on the fire wall side and above the white (I think "white") plugs behind there. Get a flash light and look carefully!
Blue harness behind white box is there. Tow-related relays are there. I had the dealership check the vehicle specs by VIN# which is how I know it's a 3.92. So the tranny cooler must be there, it's just not obvious to me (maybe I'm looking for something that looks like an aftermarket oil cooler, and it just doesn't look like that). *shrug*

So, I will continue with my plans to add the air bag kit to the rear springs, as well as the weight distribution system, and then just make sure that the hitch bolts are well torqued and I should be good. Oh, and the shift kit too. Do I need a second tranny cooler, assuming that there is one already that came with the tow pkg?

I'm having a memory lapse - did my question about towing beyond the rated tongue weight get answered? Weight Distrib plus air assist = ok to exceed the 700# tongue weight rating as long as the overall trailer weight is within tolerance?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a factory tow package!

Next is the tongue weight question: Can it go over weight in my honest opinion, yes but that's my honest opinion and not that of the forum or myself. But again, i think you are over thinking this whole thing.

What is your weights on you sticker??????????? Let me tell you this, most vehicals that have a IV hitch will accept almost ALL trailers. Again, check this sticker and come back to us cause I think you are over thinking this loaded (wet) limit!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
craig_bci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You have a factory tow package!

Next is the tongue weight question: Can it go over weight in my honest opinion, yes but that's my honest opinion and not that of the forum or myself. But again, i think you are over thinking this whole thing.

What is your weights on you sticker??????????? Let me tell you this, most vehicals that have a IV hitch will accept almost ALL trailers. Again, check this sticker and come back to us cause I think you are over thinking this loaded (wet) limit!

Between the weight distributing hitch, and the air bags installed on the leaf springs, I can level the truck out and it tows just fine. Oh, and too my DENSITY about the tranny cooler (duhhh...), it's the big radiator lookin' thing right behind the grill! For 12 years, I thought it was the radiator, but upon closer inspection, I realize there's about a 2 inch gap and then there's the radiator behind it. I figure that out while I was sitting on the ground in front of the truck with a brush and a handful of toothpicks, trying to pick stones and bugs and crap out of the oil cooler, in hopes of getting more airflow and the truck running cooler. It just DOES NOT like the summer temps around here, with or without the trailer. But it definitely runs hotter with the trailer.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well this is an old thread but I will update.

I sold my Durango and bought myself a Ram 2500 4X4 with the V10 under the hood. It handles the weight better and handles the trailer with a night and day difference.

Anyway, when you open the hood the first cooler you see is the A/C condenser. It's kinda like a radiator for the A/C only. Now behind the condenser and before the engine is the radiator. This is what cools the motor. Now between the condenser and the radiator there is about a 2 inch space, in this space there is a transmission cooler!

To see the transmission cooler (if equipped with a tow package from the dealer) you have to look between the radiator and the condensor. There is a little black strip on the front clip right above the condenser. If you pull this strip up you can see down between them and see if you have a transmission cooler. Now this is on the 1998-1999 models.

Quick Reply: Miscellaneous Towing