1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

air dam

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underbody Airdam and Themostat

incase if no one knows what im talking about, a air dam to the best of my knowledge is placed right behind i belive the engine and it scoops up air while driving and directs it to the engine.

Anyhow, i was curious if one has been placed ever on one of our durangos to be the temp's down lower? i would imagine its a cheap way to cool down the engine better.

So has it been done? Also what is the stock themostat temp? will a lower degree one help with anything?

I would also like to know if cooling is anything our trucks should worry about when stock add if doing the above and my other mods (removing rubber between hood/lights, splash guard, and rubber at back of hood) really helps anything? I have noticed though since i have done those mods that ALOT more hot air is comming out of the engine bay quicker.

Last edited by LuxuryDodge; 07-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

cooling is NOT a common problem on these trucks, i honestly think that you are wasting your time worrying about it to the extreme that you are, keep up on the coolant and make sure the fans are working, and drive it, the seals are put there by dodge for a reason to keep water out of the engine bay (definitely NOT all of it, but why make it easier for the water to get in) most likely bc these trucks are electronically controlled by a COMPUTER and we all know what happens when computers get wet (right???)

and the stock stat is a 195 (iirc) some people like 180, on the 4.7 you have to be careful to get one with a weep hole in it otherwise it will do more harm then good, but many with the 4.7 (myself included) fell that the stock stat is just fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, i was mostly just throwing out an idea out there for others about the air dam, i know the little things i havent done dont really do squat but i love modding lol. I'll probaly keep the stock T, but are the water necks a pain to get at though? I mostly just throwing out ideas as i dont wanna devote all my money to the durango when i got the camaro to worry about.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the stat is in block where the lower radiator hose meets up, you determine if that qualifies as 'easy' to get to (IMO it is easy to get to, but i just spent 3 days working under hood of my sister vw bug so anything on these trucks is gonna be easy since you actually have room to work in)

Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Please post pictures of your sister.......LMFAO!

So I start looking at the setup of the 4.7L cooling system cause you said that the T-stat is on the lower hose (which is really strange!) and you are correct. So I stare at it for a long while to figure how it works. Man whomever came up with that design should be shot! I still have issues that I cannot shake with that set up! It just makes absolutely NO sense!

Anyway, hahahahaha

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

lol i know that im correct, and it works just fine, but i would have expected it on the hot side of the radiator rather than the cold,

and hydra, you do NOT want pictures of my sister, bc im not willing to buy all of you guys new computer screens . . .

Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
and hydra, you do NOT want pictures of my sister, bc im not willing to buy all of you guys new computer screens . . .
That bad huh?

Dude that pretty cold!.........LMAO

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea that bad, and what do you want me to do, lie to ya? i couldnt do that . . .

Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of what we all want her to look like. Heck it's a pic of what we all want our SO to look like! LOL!
Name:  girldurango.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  27.0 KB
Yeah, shrps, I was busy for a while and my kids had fevers over 100 but now they're okay and so am I. Thanks for asking.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

That's a nice front end.....LMAO!