Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

One after another.......LOL

Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
jchaines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced all the lifters and changed the oil. The new lifters are extremely noisy. Is this to be expected until they fill with oil? I drove it about 1/2 mile and it came up to temp. The lifters were still noisy. I still need to do a compression test and run it with valve covers off to see if oil is coming up the push rods. I followed the Haynes manual to install new lifters. Do they skip anything I should have done to install new lifters correctly?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Did you presoak the lifters in oil overnight before installing them? They have to be full of oil before installation and soaking overnight in oil will get all the air out.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
jchaines

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Did you presoak the lifters in oil overnight before installing them? They have to be full of oil before installation and soaking overnight in oil will get all the air out.
I was told I didn't have to but there is logic in that step. The manual said to just coat them with clean oil. So to answer your question... no I didn't. At this point should I remove all the lifters again and soak them or just run it until oil gets pumped into them from use. The Durango seemed to run fine, just noisy.

This is getting frustrating .

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
jchaines

Lifters now sound normal but the check engine light came back on... Haven't read it yet and need to do another compression test and probably another leak down test. I'll let you all know.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
jchaines

could my new heads have had the wrong length valves in it? only one cylinder with no compression. loosening the rocker arm bolt fixes it but it has to be so loose that the bolt backs out while running. Any thoughts? And can I check my assumption before I have to remove the heads?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What about a bad guide or bent valve?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:33 PM
jchaines

Whatever it is it's keeping the valve open. The cylinder seals up on a leak down test if I loosen the rocker bolt. I don't have time to work on it this weekend but, again, I will let you know what I find when I get back on it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM
jchaines

The spark plug in this cylinder is shiny black. Could that be from the valves not closing (spark with incorrect mix)? Is it a clue as to where to look? Any ideas? New lifters didn't solve this problem obviously... I'll be working on this tomorrow.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

You are using the same push tubes right? I would loosen up the rockers on the cylinder with no compression, remove both push tubes and make sure one is not longer than the other. Only other way you can see if the valve is higher than the rest is to loosen all the rockers on that one side, move them off to the side and place a straight edge on top of the valves. They should all be the same height and if they are not, there is your problem.

Quick Reply: No compression in cylinder 1