1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Upper Ball Joints. Can I go cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
mattyp520
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Ball Joints. Can I go cheap?

98 D with 135K on it and this is the second set of UBJs I will be putting on. Did the first front pair about 2 years ago and need to do them again now because they're already going bad again. I will be doing the Inner TREs and the upper control arm bushings at the same time. A friend at an auto shop put my D up on a lift and showed me exactly what was wrong. These are the only parts he recommended replacing at this time.
I'm tight on funds and the moog parts are double the generic ones. Torn between what to do? It is my daily driver city/hwy and occasional off road but no crawling/climbing or towing.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE BallJoints EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

get the moog greasable ones, it is well worth the money, they will outlast the generics as long as you take care of them (grease them at the oil changes ect) and be happy that your front wheels are not falling up

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Obviously you have to go with what you can afford, and all factors being equal I have heard many good things about the MOOGS. Hydra will probably chime in soon with Duralast and I am sure they are good. Here are another couple of considerations to think about.

1. Have the lowers been replaced at all? Since you have the suspension apart anyway this might be a good as time as any and it might cost you a few more minutes parts and labor now but save some time and labor down the road. Basically I am suggesting that you explore the option of checking into r/r the lower ones now and have brand new set of upper and lower to last you another 135K miles.

2. Talk it over with your friend, if he can help you on labor it might be worth it to check out the Moogs, if you are torn over price then I would say go middle of the road.

I saw a set on Ebay, it was upper and lower both sids for about $70 I believe, not sure the quality though maybe some others might have more experience. If you are not offroading and you dont have streets like Minneapolis or NY City then they might work if your friend can help you install them.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Hydra will probably chime in soon with Duralast and I am sure they are good.
I didn't even have to type!.....

Duralast are cheaper and they are warrantied for life?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
streets ... NY City ...

wait, NYC has streets??? i thought streets had asphault on them???? theres none of that in NY

Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
tst31
Rookie

I would say go with the Moog's as well. Spending a little extra now will save you ALOT more down the road, without question. You can't go wrong with the Moog's, but you also can't go wrong with anything Hydra suggests, either. As long as they are servicable/greaseable, and you make sure they are serviced regularly, you should be fine given the driving conditions you mentioned. Replacing the TRE's should help too, and having a good set of serviceable lowers is pretty much a necessity (I know someone else mentioned that earlier, but I didn't see an answer to that question, but I will assume those were changed as well).

Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
mattyp520

Thanks a lot guys! Great forum, very knowledgable and helpfull members. Proud to be a part of it.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Upper Ball Joints. Can I go cheap?