1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

bad computer??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the main fuse on the PDC first (the first one like a 140 AMP or something).

If everything is good and you have power there then I'm thinking PCM as well. You can pick up Pre-Programed PCM's on ebay for like $200 shipped and ready for direct bolt in!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
thorze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Check the main fuse on the PDC first (the first one like a 140 AMP or something).

If everything is good and you have power there then I'm thinking PCM as well. You can pick up Pre-Programed PCM's on ebay for like $200 shipped and ready for direct bolt in!!!!
Not to Hijack this thread but.....a friend of mine is having the exact issues with hers. 98 5.2L If the main Comp fuse keeps blowing is it safe to assume that the ecu is bad, or would it be somewhere or something else??
Thanks for the input Hydra!!
PS your new truck looks pretty sweet, great find!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Blowing a fuse at the PDC sounds like a voltage issue. Have the alternator checked then check the grounds, then a possible PCM.

By the way<------A ECU is a Ford name and a PCM is a Dodge name for the same part (comuter).

Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

By the way<------A ECU is a Ford name and a PCM is a Dodge name for the same part (comuter).

BTW: comuter is actually spelled commuter, and is someone who travels to work/school/wherever else they need to everyday, a computer is what controls the engines on out trucks

Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright mr. (enter name of southern florida city here) Son,
FF

Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

I had the same problem with a '97 ram the battery went dead put in a new one and would start no fuel no spark put in a new pcm and been running like brand new ever since

Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
BTW: comuter is actually spelled commuter, and is someone who travels to work/school/wherever else they need to everyday, a computer is what controls the engines on out trucks
Smart a$$......LOL

Actually it's miss spelled as "Computer" Dr. Sharps!......

Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
thorze
Rookie

Blowing a fuse at the PDC sounds like a voltage issue. Have the alternator checked then check the grounds, then a possible PCM.

A thousand pardons to the Mopar faithful!!!! I changed a speed density ford to mass air and it is stuck in my head, aven though I changed the PCM in my own Durango LOL I'll get it right eventually.

Okay so I told her to start at the alternator and then check all grounds first. Then she told me the whole story I hate that!! So apparently she is having the tranny replaced as the og went out. In the meanwhile, it has been intemitently(spellcheck Dr. Sharps) has not been starting guages dead, no fuel pump, no codes, but she has not seen "NO BUSS" yet and mileage in odometer has not blinked with KOEO like mine did. Fuel pump replaced twice and relay replaced no help. 3 140 amp fuse blew one after another when installed. Hope this helps the diagnosis. Should the start still be at the alternator then grounds then possible PCM replacement or could there have been issues caused by the tranny swap??
Thanks again all wise ones!! Your help is always greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2010, 01:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by thorze
A thousand pardons to the Mopar faithful!!!! I changed a speed density ford to mass air and it is stuck in my head, aven though I changed the PCM in my own Durango LOL I'll get it right eventually.

Okay so I told her to start at the alternator and then check all grounds first. Then she told me the whole story I hate that!! So apparently she is having the tranny replaced as the og went out. In the meanwhile, it has been intemitently(spellcheck Dr. Sharps) has not been starting guages dead, no fuel pump, no codes, but she has not seen "NO BUSS" yet and mileage in odometer has not blinked with KOEO like mine did. Fuel pump replaced twice and relay replaced no help. 3 140 amp fuse blew one after another when installed. Hope this helps the diagnosis. Should the start still be at the alternator then grounds then possible PCM replacement or could there have been issues caused by the tranny swap??
Thanks again all wise ones!! Your help is always greatly appreciated
LMAO @ Dr. Sharps.......

Ok, there is a serious short. You are going to have to find out what is causing the fuse to blow first. You might have to pull everything out (take picture first) then slowly replace to narrow down the area of draw or do a continuity to ground to possibly find it.

A wiring loom may have been pinched during install of the transmission.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
thorze
Rookie

LMAO @ Dr. Sharps.......

Ok, there is a serious short. You are going to have to find out what is causing the fuse to blow first. You might have to pull everything out (take picture first) then slowly replace to narrow down the area of draw or do a continuity to ground to possibly find it.

A wiring loom may have been pinched during install of the transmission.
Thanks Hydra, I will report back as soon as I know with any updates

Quick Reply: bad computer??????