1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

serious help or advice needed here

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005 | 10:21 AM
dtmvelocity
Default serious help or advice needed here

hello to all, new member here. one day coming home from work my 00' 4.7 with 50k decided to quit on me. after careful inspection, i noticed the rear end was leaking and the plug on the cover was missing. the motor would start, everything worked, but the truck would not move when put in gear. i had the truck towed. while riding with the tow driver, the guy braked and asked me if i had spacers in my back wheels cuz the wheels were expading out. amazed to see my tires almost 4 inches out the rear fenders, i had asked to raise the truck from the back. upon arriving home, i placed her on jacks and both axles came out by simply pulling out the tires [:@]. i took the cover apart along with other parts to examine and all teeths appear fine. im new to this, can someone help me out and tell me what might caused this, is this a simple fix and what is a posi rear?? i think i should mentioned that i did a couple of burnouts a few weeks prior to this catastrophe. please help

Old 04-30-2005 | 01:48 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Default RE: serious help or advice needed here

It sounds like the axle locks came off of your axles.

TRAC-LOKā„¢ DIFFERENTIAL
DESCRIPTION
In a standard differential, if one wheel spins, the opposite wheel will generate only as much torque as the spinning wheel.

In the Trac-lokā„¢ differential, part of the ring gear torque is transmitted through clutch packs which contain multiple discs. The clutches will have radial grooves on the plates, and concentric grooves on the discs or bonded fiber material that is smooth in appearance.

OPERATION
In operation, the Trac-lokā„¢ clutches are engaged by two concurrent forces. The first being the preload force exerted through Belleville spring washers within the clutch packs. The second is the separating forces generated by the side gears as torque is applied through the ring gear Trac-lokā„¢ Limited Slip Differential Operation

The Trac-lokā„¢ design provides the differential action needed for turning corners and for driving straight ahead during periods of unequal traction. When one wheel looses traction, the clutch packs transfer additional torque to the wheel having the most traction. Trac-lokā„¢ differentials resist wheel spin on bumpy roads and provide more pulling power when one wheel looses traction. Pulling power is provided continuously until both wheels loose traction. If both wheels slip due to unequal traction, Trac-lokā„¢ operation is normal. In extreme cases of differences of traction, the wheel with the least traction may spin.

Quick Reply: serious help or advice needed here