1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newbie w/ some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
jackone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie w/ some questions.

Have had the Durango for 2 months and found this site. Great site!! It is a 2000 SLT 4.7 with 102,000 mi. I put on a factory tow hitch and am wiring with factory harness, however I have been towing with plug and play harness in the meantime. Questions. I have been towing a snowmobile trailer w/ two sleds total weight qpprox 1800lbs (trailer and sleds). Durango seems to shift between 3 and 4 gear on thruway. Not bad but annoying. I know my truck has 3.55 gears but is there any solution other than locking out OD. Factory harness has 7 pin plug which will work with brake controller however I am reluctant to tow camper (5000 lbs) with this transmission like this. Have not been inside tranny or changed fluid yet, probably a good place to start. I have a new set of 265-75-16 tires that would replace the 15 inchers on there now...Shackle lift, add a leaf or air bags to keep stock ride characteristics? Thanks guys this site is GREAT!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

mmm yea try changing the the trans fluid and filters. It might help with the shifting. It will shift a little out of the norm when you tow cause it is 1800 lbs more weight you have to move.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on changing the filter and fluid first.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
jackone

That is what I thought! Anything to look at when the pan is dropped? Any sensors to replace while open? What about the tires size and rear lift question?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:46 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

just change the fluid and filters. there are 2.

and are you asking what to do with the rear to keep it stock when your towing? if so air bags are probably a good idea. as adding a leaf or changing the shackles would lift the rear higher than the front.

Quick Reply: Newbie w/ some questions.