1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Misfire after new Champion Copper

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
CudaVert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misfire after new Champion Copper

Hi,
New guy here. I have an '03 4.7L Durango with some problems.
If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I've been having some misfire issues lately, possibly other issues but not sure. Engine started stuttering on takeoff, and got progressively worse every day until I got a misfire code the other day. So I replaced the plugs(bought the new E3 'power' plugs thinking they would work. This was before I found this forum). Same problem as before. Not as bad but same problem. I did some research, found you guys and read to use the Champion Copper plugs only. So I bought and installed those after work today and still seems to be having the same problem. This time im getting multiple/random misfires code.

It shakes when stopped at a light. Stutters on takeoff and has no power whatsoever. I also noticed the volt meter on the dash is reading higher voltage than normal. Not sure if this has anything do with my current problem, but maybe it does...

I'm assuming that replacing the coils is the next step, but don't want to spend money I don't need to...

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

try putting some seafoam in the gas tank to clean the injectors up before you go onto replacing the coils, and also check the elctrical connections on both the injectors, coils, and at all the sensors, pcm and the grounds (pretty much every connection)

and about the battery, it COULD be related if the battery is dieing it causes all sorts of problems, if it is more than 4 years old i would just replace it but you can have it load tested if you dont want to jump right into replacing it

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
CudaVert

I forgot to mention that I also put injector cleaner in the tank when I filled up yesterday. Would seafoam do anything different?

I made sure to check the connections on the injectors, coils & sensors on the throttle body when I was changing plugs again this evening. I will check the PCM connection tomorrow.

If I have a good pcm connection & the battery tests good, what would you suggest for my next step?

Thanks again.
- Dave

Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Blue Dee

Not to scare you, but I've heard some guys that talk about shaking and misfiring also finding rocker arms lying loose under the valve cover...
I have the same rig as you. I've been getting a misfire code here and there but I can hardly tell/feel it when it happens. I changed plugs, switched coil from #2 misfiring cyl. to #4, still got misfire, swapped the #2 injector to another cyl, changed to synthetic oil and nothing has worked yet. Altho it has been alot longer in between misfire CELs.
There's a ton of good info around here, so you are def. in the right place...

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Camshaft Sensor or Crankshaft Sensor.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could also be a bad coil/connection...

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CudaVert
I forgot to mention that I also put injector cleaner in the tank when I filled up yesterday. Would seafoam do anything different?

I made sure to check the connections on the injectors, coils & sensors on the throttle body when I was changing plugs again this evening. I will check the PCM connection tomorrow.

If I have a good pcm connection & the battery tests good, what would you suggest for my next step?

Thanks again.
- Dave
seafoam is just the preferred brand of injector cleaner, it can also be used in the oil right before a change and sucked through the intake with a vacum line, really a GREAT multi-purpose engine cleaner

Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
KsK9

My 02 Durango went through the same problem: #2 misfire. Replaced plugs (all...since it had 93/k), coil pack, fuel injection cleaner thru the injector rails...and it kept showing up after 1-2 days. Ended up replacing the injector itself for #2 cylinder ($52.00) and that solved the problem. Hasn't showed the check engine light for 3 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

with the engine running you can pull the individual spark plug from each cylinder. doing this you will hear the engine struggle a bit until you put the plug back in. If you pull the plug off a cylinder and it doesn't fumble as much as the others then you know what cylinder to be looking at.. you can also look at the color and wear of the old spark plugs to see if you have any other major issues.. compare the color to a chart you can find on google or something pretty easy.. If you have a multimeter you can check individual injectors by pulling the plug off the injector and reading the resistance(ohms DC) between the injector's electrical prongs. it will normally be between like 12-16 ohms i think for dodge injectors, but that,s a guess without looking it up.. If you have one injector thats not putting out the same as another then you know which one isn't pulling its weight..

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
CudaVert

Well, I had a long day at work today so didn't feel like messing with it this afternoon. But, after reading your post SumAmerican, I did notice that some of the E3 plugs had some carbon buildup after running just 2 days. Didn't really think too much of it, though I probably should have. Is this another clue to a spark problem. Unburnt fuel causing buildup?

I really appreciate all the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Misfire after new Champion Copper