1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vet needs help 2000 durango

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
esdaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vet needs help 2000 durango

Hello new to site, I have a 2000 dodge durango, 4.7
past history, I have replaced the o2 sensors 4 times the pre cat, and post only once, I was over seas with military and wife was having porblems with it the 2nd time and waited till i got home,, well end up saying that i needed a new cat/conv money is and still is tight, so looked around and talk to some guys and the said gut it... We took the exhaust off and gutted it, was stopped up bad, replaced the pre O2 and ordered a wiring harness or something that was for the post sensor to give false signal to pc to show it was working , it sounded great ran great after about 30 seconds of i guess computer resetting its self, more power no smoke and ran like a top best it ever has ran,,, well about 4 months later pre o2 bad again,,, changed it,,,,, 3 months later changed it again,, after research i seen that the power steering P/S was probably the bad guy her so i replaced it also,,, cleaned out the lines with break fluid and my eyes(spent night in the Hospital) yeah,,,, even went the extent of placing high temp RTV or some sort of silicone just in case it wasnt it,,, and the plug was getting fluid inside it sorry, forgot that part,, It ran almost a year now with no problems even got better gas mileage around 22 on interstate if i babied it not pulling my boat or anything, other that being a disabled vet life was good until last few weeks, my wife noticed the dreaded black smoke again and some other problems, well at 5.8 MPG and no garage had to do something, so pulled the codes from it and went to research.. here are the codes P0132 1/1 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.
P0121 (M) Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.
P0138 (M) 1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.
P0171 (M) 1/1 Fuel System Lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.
P1594 Charging System Voltage Too High Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation.

ok so back to work on it,,, I also was going to change the oil and noticed had slime or sludge build up in the filler neck and little bit of moisture, never seen that before,,,,, went into to shop,, most never seen it,, one guy said that yeah your pcv vavle is bad or stuck,,,

so did flush on engine, changed oil,(only run Mobil1) shocks all the way around it, to fix the pcv valve it was stopped up cause of the filler neck cleaned all that up and replaced(R2) it... the other code said to change the throttle positioning sensor,, ok changed it hoping it was going to help also,,,,,was praying that this fixed everything cause it was late and was hurting so i said well see.... drove less than 3 miles and its acting up again, codes were erased and one came bak,,, what its doing is almost like carb flooding out, it dont do it at any ertain time just whenever, to fix it you have to almost pump it ,, if you give it all the gas nothing,,, it does this sometimes around 3 minutes at a time... but if you put it in neutral its fine,, will take load smooth slow or fast all the way up to under red line,,,, no problem at all place it back into gear and it acts up again,,, just as bad,,,hesitating and bogging down you have to find the sweet spot for it to run but put it in neutral again and nothing its fine, back into gear same..... doesnt do it all the time but more frequent,,, i thought the replacing the throttle sensor would fix that problem? i have driving it about 60 miles since all that has been replaced and still same thing,,, the only code that i have coming up now is,, P0138 or P0132 one or the other sorry cant remember, and its still doing it,,, and another things for the code P1594 Charging System Voltage Too High Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation. the guys said look at my terminals and check connections... i did there was lil bit of corrosion on the ground ,, cleaned it off 2 days before,,when i did all the repairs it was bad???? i drove it home last night and looked under hood and saw that the ground post off of the battery is broke from the housing,,, so have to get a new battery,,, would that be causing the bogging problem? $$ is super tight and cant go to every or any shop for that atter have to due the work myself which is a chore in its self,,,, please guys I hope you an help me out what little hair i have left im pulling it out!!! Thanks and God Bless

Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First mistake- Gutting the cat
Second mistake- O2 eliminator

A battery WILL cause issues... Make sure to replace the terminal with the battery

Build up on filler neck is just emulsion and not sludge. Still safe.

ACCUMULATION OF FOAMY OIL EMULSION 4.7L ENGINE OIL FILL HOUSING

Date: 09/11/00 (02/00) -- Bulletin # 090100A (supercedes 090100)

Model year(s): 1999-2000

Description:A customer may complain of an oil emulsion accumulation inside the engine oil fill housing. The oil emulsion will normally be foamy and be gray or light brown in color. The emulsion accumulation will often occur on cooler engine surfaces, like the inside of the oil fill housing. Modern engine oils are designed to address the oil emulsion phenomenon. Oil emulsion accumulation is normal and will not damage the engine A new baffle and a revised oil fill housing cap have been released. The baffle and oil cap will help to reduce the amount of oil emulsion accumulation within the oil fill housing.

Details: If the customer has experienced this issue, then perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
53032126AA Baffle, Oil Fill Housing
53032389AC Cap, Oil Fill Housing

Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
esdaddy
Unhappy

i understand about the cat, and O2 ... it did run for 2 years with no problems when we did that.......
update just replace the battery and all good there... they cleared my codes,,,, took it back to my dads garage and finished up the shocks and did the sea foam thing,,, and changed air filter... ran like a top better than before,,, accelating great and seemed like lil more power porbly in head... but no spits or sputters ,,, since the battery i have drove it for about total of 2 and a half hours at 18.7 mpg on the interstate was back to normal,,, then it stated to do the hestitate like flooding out,,, rough idling and wont hardly go, but when i put it into neutral no probs will accelerate fine but when put back into gear problems still there,,,,,, guys this one has me stumped,,,, and no codes are on the OD thing,,,, anyone... it has a lot of people stumped?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
esdaddy

what about the map sensor would like do it? again people saying its this and that... i dont want to go and start throwing parts at it.... i cant handle much more... again thanks and God Bless

Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the "Try this/try that part", sinks the pocket real quick.
Some non $$ suggestions to start
Check for any codes again Via key first
Then start off by cleaning the TB-Remove her and go bonkers
Look over the IAT/TPS
Check out your vacuum lines for any little sign of leakage
next pop out the plugs-checking them out/cleaning or replacing to your suiting

I wont put a million steps down but give the easy stuff a shot first then cmon back

Last edited by Duranged408; 03-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
esdaddy

other than bumper my looks like yours and not the huge tires same color,
anyway ,, thanks ill those things,,, would a plug be intermittent like my problem?
i didnt remove the TB but cleaned it the other night and today earlier i bought some sea foam and did it,, it looked decent. maybe i have fouled a plug cause its idling rough a little now.... i will try this this weekend.... got to run the little one to soccer games... thanks ill be back

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duranged408
First mistake- Gutting the cat
Second mistake- O2 eliminator
3rd mistake... I couldn't even read the post. Name:  dunno.gif
Views: 22
Size:  275 Bytes

D408, Good on ya mate.

IndyD

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
esdaddy

? is it because i didnt describe it very well? sorry i ramble some times? thanks forthe help i really like this forum so far..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have the alternator voltage checked at a Auto Zone or similar.

Second would be a PCM or simply reinstall the CAT.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea i agree with hydra, have the alternator checked and having a cat on the truck will do wonders for it running correctly

Quick Reply: Vet needs help 2000 durango