1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Infinity Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
triumphsix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 8, but the ones in the rear doors are two way speakers, so there's really only 6 different speaker locations. At least thats how my 2000 slt plus is.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
MongoDV8
Professional

'01 here. Seperate mid and tweeter in each door for a total of 8 speakers.
I replaced the rear mids with some Infinity speakers. I don't remember the part number but I'm at work right now. The ones I put in sound awful. The bass from a drum sounds like you are thumping on a 5 gal bucket . I will post the part number after I get home.

Anyway , I got on Crutchfield and ordered 2 sets of Polk speakers and they should be in today or tomorrow hopefully. I'll let you know how they sound after the install. They are on sale right now for $ 75.00 a pair.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i think when they changed the interior styling of the trucks they added seperate tweeters in the rear doors (judging by the responses in this thread that is)

Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
MongoDV8
Professional

Home now. The speakers I have in the rear doors are Infinity 6032si. They sound awful. Here is the reply they sent me when I asked them about speakers.

" Unfortunately, there isn't enough room to fit any Infinity speakers in the doors that will give you more bass than the 6032si. All others would have to be a custom install. If you want to do the custom install for these I recommend the Infinity Reference 6032cf speakers. These aren't the shallow mount like the "si" version which will improve the bass output. "

" If you do not want to do a custom install, I recommend switching to the Polk Audio db 651s speakers. These are a bit more punchier on the bass output. "

So I ordered 2 sets of the Polk. Should be here tomorrow or wednesday.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Uller God

Keep in mind you have to have the positive and negative working the same throughout the system. If you have one speaker thumping out while the other is thumping in you will lose the bass. You can check the polarity of the speaker by hooking up any battery to the connector. If it thumps out it's positive. It really doesn't matter if the cone goes in or out for bass, what matters is you have all the speakers going the same direction. I repaired my speakers with Emlers glue, but someone else suggested replacing the gasket. I'm not a pro by any means but you need to match the amp on the speaker rating in order to achieve a good sound. Trial and error could be a waste of time. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by MongoDV8
Home now. The speakers I have in the rear doors are Infinity 6032si. They sound awful. Here is the reply they sent me when I asked them about speakers.

" Unfortunately, there isn't enough room to fit any Infinity speakers in the doors that will give you more bass than the 6032si. All others would have to be a custom install. If you want to do the custom install for these I recommend the Infinity Reference 6032cf speakers. These aren't the shallow mount like the "si" version which will improve the bass output. "

" If you do not want to do a custom install, I recommend switching to the Polk Audio db 651s speakers. These are a bit more punchier on the bass output. "

So I ordered 2 sets of the Polk. Should be here tomorrow or wednesday.

your issue is that you purchased the shallow mount speakers, if you save the plastic ring off the stockers, you can use a regular depth speaker and not have to worry about it, if you stick with a shallow mount speaker you will not the amount of bass or the quality that you are looking for

Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been told that rubber cement will fix the busted ring around the cones...

Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM
MongoDV8
Professional

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
I've been told that rubber cement will fix the busted ring around the cones...
I've seen on these forums that some use liquid electrical tape. Whatever that is.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

liquid electrical tape was me and its essentially the same thing as rubber cement so go for whichever you happen to have, i like to keep the liquid electrical tape around because it is much simpler than regular tape and has MANY uses

Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A rubber cement or liquid electrical tape are a great flexible fix.

Quick Reply: Infinity Stereo