Originally Posted by jaz27
and head banging loud right?
I remember those days........LOL

All hail to Slayer!!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer the original questions, on your 2000 D you still have the old interior like me. I HAD to buy shallow mount speakers for my doors so the windows wouldn't hit them when rolled down, even with reusing the black plastic ring, it was close though you may be able to get away with regulars if you add a little extra spacer in there.
On your front doors you have a tweeter up top and a regular 1 way speaker below. On your rear doors you have a two way speaker below with a tweeter built in on top of the cone. For my install I cut the built in tweeter wires off of the new speakers and just used the tweeter up top on the front, sounds great. I'd only be worried about the bass issue if you don't plan on installing a sub in the back.
All my infinity foam surrounds blew out too, I would repair them but if you're adding an after market stereo it's just better to get new speakers too because the whole stock infinity setup from the head unit, amp, and speaker have whacky ohm ratings. Not going to lie though, the stock speakers and setup was pretty impressive...when it worked, sounded great and had plenty of bass to it.
For any aftermarket stereo install, just go ahead and bypass the stock amp completely, the whacky ohm ratings won't give you all the sound you can get from the new stuff.

My stereo setup sounds great, I blast a Boston 8 track tape I found under a seat in a salvage yard haha good stuff right there.

Last edited by Evon Trizmo; 04-05-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks guys for the info.
I install the two rear and they sound nice. I like them. I might go in and install a sub to give it that extra kick..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have a sub in a box free standing in the back of my D (just to take out when I need the space, which is rarely) but I can't imangine my music anymore without it now. I use the shallow mount door speakers are tweeters basically and the bass from the back sounds real nice overall.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 AM
jaz27
Rookie

yea that is what im planning on doing, putting a sub that will be taken out if needed.
the ones that i got, fit just right. starting to enjoy them more.
Question- do i still need to use the bracket that the old speakers were on?? or can i just install them using the bracket that it comes with?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 AM
L7D4N

I replaced all 4 Mid speakers in each door with cheap "Dual" speakers from Auto-Zone and it sounds great. I had a 12" Sub in the back, but took it out due to needing the third row seats.

I have devised a plan in which to use 6 and a half inch subs to place in the rear doors only. Here is a link to the speaker:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-352

This is a "DVC" (Dual Voice Coil) that operates at 60watt RMS (90 max) at 4 ohms. This means that it's capable of 120w at 2ohms. Since this is a DVC sub, and the infinity factory amp has a 2ohm output, running each coil in tandem with one another will place a 2ohm load to each speaker, and should fit perfectly into the factory specs for the wattage and load for the amplifier. Running them in parallel is what their designed to do.

I just ordered these speakers, and after speaking with one of Parts Express' reps, these should fit in the rear door with enough clearance to fit.

I'll post back next week and let you guys know how it sounds.

Last edited by L7D4N; 04-09-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 AM
neilb
Professional

Bugger it, I need to read this whole post in the morning, post deleted!

Last edited by neilb; 04-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
jaz27
Rookie

L7D4N,
Would this sill work for set ups w/o the infinity package?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 PM
R/T00Durango

Question- do i still need to use the bracket that the old speakers were on?? or can i just install them using the bracket that it comes with?
Yes. For the front and rear doors, you need to use the black bracket that came off. its a spacer to keep the speaker from being hit by the window when you roll it down. make sure you put the bracket on the same way it came off, otherwise you will be doing like i did, and having to take the door panel back off because the window wont roll all the way down.
Hope that answered your question..

Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
L7D4N

L7D4N,
Would this sill work for set ups w/o the infinity package?
I'm not quite sure to be honest. Most Factory/Aftermarket radio's are not 2 ohm stable with the onboard amp (their typically 20w RMS for each speaker at 4ohm).

You might be able to find a single voice coil sub at 6 1/2" that will fit more into it's specs on the radio without the infinity package. Just try to match up the ohm and wattage, otherwise you won't be pleased with the sound.

Additionally, if you dont have the speaker "rings" for the door, it's going to be quite difficult in finding a sub that will fit into the door without the clearance it needs for most speakers. I'd suggest at that point you try to find a Durango in the salvage yard, throw $10 into the door rings, and play around with them. I bought additional ones out of the salvage yard so I could make adjustments and modifications as needed while having the original ones to fall back on.

P.S.

Roll down your window on the door your working on while putting an aftermarket speaker on. This is how I knew if I placed the ring on the door properly, so my window would still roll down.

Last edited by L7D4N; 04-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Infinity Stereo