1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Dislander
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a large pipe wrench in leu of special tool #yadda yadda...

the tool is to relieve the preload that will be present after the adjuster bolt has been backed all the way off. it you just pull the bolt it will snap the rest of the way if not controlled & is a bit of a bitch to rotate back when time comes for reassembly.

That is also how I do the ball joits but I like to just loosen & not remove the nut. that way if I miss with the hammer I don't risk killing the ball joint threads. Only a potential issue if you are reusing the ball joints.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

The removal process is looking easier and easier the more I think about doing it, but one question, where exactly do you pry to get the axle out as mentioned in the manual. Does anyone have any pics. It says position two prybars between axle housing and end of inner axle...where exactly is this? The book doesn't have much pictures.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Dislander
Professional

your looking for the point where the axle meets the housing, axle spins housing doesn't. there is a small gap between the housing & the inner cv of the axle, that is where you pry. outer end must be free of the spindle first.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Ok, cool that should help, hopefully this wont be to tough of a task this summer.

Quick Reply: 01 Durango control arm bushings