1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranmission issues - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 AM
GT2K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission issues - Need Help!

I have a 2002 Durango 4x4 with a 4.7 v8 and an 45rfe transmission. I was pulling a dtc trouble code of P0740 (torque converter clutch solenoid circuit). So i replaced the solenoid and the trouble code returned. After bringing the truck to the dealership for further diagnostics they determined that i need a new torque converter. I spoke to a local transmission shop who said that if my torque converter needs to be switched than most likely i need to rebuild the whole transmission. I use this truck to tow a camper that is fairly close to the vehicle's max towing capacity and figured that i would have the transmission shop rebuild it with a torque converter built a little beefier for towing. They are estimating a worse case scenario of $2k, to 2.5K.
My overall question is the dealership recommended adjusting the valves after replacing the torque converter. However if i replace the torque converter myself i can do the whole thing for $450 with a towing converter from hurst performance. Do i actually need to adjust the valves as the dealership says, or can i just swap it and go. I am not very worried about there being damage in the transmission, because when i replaced the solenoid there was no debris or anything stuck to the magnet in the pan. The trans oil is darker than it should be, but still red. And all this started after the truck was driven through a fairly deep puddle. Please Help as i really cannot afford the rebuild option at this time.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

master tech is the trany guy.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

My first question would be, did the transmission shop or the dealer do a torque converter stall test? 2nd question which valves are the dealer talking about? Because there no valves or bands to adjust in a 45RFE transmission. There only actulator valves in the valve body and they not adjustable.Send me an pm.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^ The man has spoke.....LOL ^

Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
GT2K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
My first question would be, did the transmission shop or the dealer do a torque converter stall test? 2nd question which valves are the dealer talking about? Because there no valves or bands to adjust in a 45RFE transmission. There only actulator valves in the valve body and they not adjustable.Send me an pm.
"The dealership performed a test utilizing DRBIII Scan Tool, Codes P0700, P0740 present for TCC out of range" "When shifting into lockup (off 100 RPM) Problem internal with torque converter, will require replacing torque converter & resetting Values."
The above is the direct quotes off the invoice i received from the dealership. Sorry i mistakenly crossed values with valves in my previous question. What is involved with resetting the values?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

If the dealer did a torque converter stall test, if the engine stalled then the torque converter stall test passed. If the engine did not stall then it failed. Which means a torque converter and front pump and sealing rings on the input shaft.Resetting the value is resetting the torque converter for break in. and a quick learn.

Quick Reply: Tranmission issues - Need Help!