1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Headlamps one dim one bright

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Lights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps one dim one bright

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango with one bright headlamp and one dim. I tried looking for a short, faulty switch, or even bad bulb. I have not been able to locate the relay switch or cause. Does anyone know where to find the relay switch, determin if the headlamp switch is good or bad and anything at all.
I have power on both sides of the "left side headlamp fuse", in the engine compartment if I install the bulb on that side. It will also cause the right side to dim if the bulb is on.
If I remove the bulb in the left side it will turn the right side off from dim.
When I say dim I do not mean low from high just dim as in weak.

If anyone can make any suggestions or recommendations it would be extremely apreciated. My next task is to locate an A/C leak. I have my hands full and broke. Thaks read you soon.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:08 PM
SSonnentag
Default RE: Headlamps one dim one bright

I would suspect a bad ground on the dim light. You're getting just enough juice through to light it up, but not enough for full brightness. A voltmeter would show the correct voltage, but you're not getting enough amperage through the connection to fully fire up the bulb.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 AM
uawnick
Professional

either that or a misalignment. shine em up against a white wall and see where they point. if they are out of line then I can tell you where the screw is to align them... its in a weird spot

Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe swap the bulbs around to make sure it is not the bulb itself that may be going out? Maybe check the contacts on the bulb to check for corrosion.

Quick Reply: Headlamps one dim one bright