1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine will not warm up + heater doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:08 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HS,
I don't expect the digital laser thermo to be perfect dead on accurate. However, to take one reading, then move to another section on the hose and take another, and then another, etc... you are doing so with the same unit at the same time and any variance from accurate will be consistent... thus... still providing you with a baseline set of answers to diagnose the issue with.

J306,
With that said, two things:

1) did you find the laser easy?
2) with a plugged rad, it is time to flush the coolant because what is plugging the rad is also everywhere else in the system.

Do this:

- Disconnect heater hose from drivers side of firewall and the other heater hose from the passengers side of the firewall. 5 - 10 minutes
- GENTLY wash water into the firewall from the drivers side to the passengers side. This is a reverse flush of the heater core. 15 -20 minute job
- Replace stat and gasket. $11 for a great one 180 degree one. 30 - 45 minute job
- Disconnect the upper and lower rad hoses. EXTRA STRONG flush with a hose as much from the high side to the low side. - 30 minutes
- Reconnect all hoses. Fill with Prestone 50/50 Premix. Buy 2 gallons. 5 - 10 minutes
- Leaving cap off rad, run till hot. Watch stat open, coolant level drop, add more coolant. Repeat each time the stat opens and the coolant drops until it won't hold anymore. 5 - 10 minutes

About 90 minutes of work. Under $25 in total parts.

If that doesn't get it, you need to replace the radiator. If you are not careful on the heater core reverse flush, you will need one of those too so I stress to use a light flow of water there.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-25-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
j306
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had time to work on this further but wanted to check
back in with you guys. Yea, the thermostat will be replaced next
along with a thorough cooling system flush.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
It's the best way and the best idea hands down either way.
Yep, that's why I said this ^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Engine will not warm up + heater doesn't work