1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C works sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM
bmuraski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Durango A/C works sometimes then compressor cuts out

I have a 99 Durango and I noticed the air conditioning would sometimes get warm, this just started happening this year, so I thought it was low on freon. I picked up a can at the auto store and I made sure to get a can with a guage to check the pressure. The pressure seemed fine, was in the blue, but I added the can just in case. The pressure stayed fine. Anyway, it seemed to work only to find out the next day it started getting warm again. This time, I kept the engine running when I got home and checked under the hood. I noticed the compressor wasn't running. Although it was running earlier, since it was blowing cold air and when I checked the pressure before and added the can of freon, the compressor did kick on and off. I'm at a loss on what it could be. Is there a temperature sensor tied to this that may have gone bad? Appreciate any suggestions on what to check.

Thank you.
Brian

Last edited by bmuraski; 05-26-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Update title info
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Take it to a shop before you blow yourself up!

Sounds like you overfilled it anyway and that wasn't even your problem. Now it's too high and you could have a bad compressor now as well a very hazardous condition if you weren't low to begin with.

Quick Reply: A/C works sometimes