1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'02 Durango won't start easily

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM
shellibell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Durango won't start easily

Hello! I'm having trouble with my '02 Durango. When I go to start it, it acts like the battery is dead. I just have to keep trying to start it and then all of a sudden it starts. It doesn't have any clicking noises. Also what is really strange is that the odometer flashes "P Done", no idea what that means, then it goes back to being an odometer. Bottom line, once it starts it runs fine, but why the heck doesn't it start nicely the first time? Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

How old is the battery? Check for loose connections at the battery terminals.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

P done is I believe a failure code or impending failure code. Someone will chime in with specifics soon, but so far it sounds like battery is failing. If you have a 02 and have never replaced the battery, save yourself some trouble. The D especially some of the newer ones, are very sensitive to battery failures and there is not as much tolerance built in to the system for proper starting. The voltage requirements are more, and not as much voltage can be lost for starting. Primary electrical demand is the PCM and if you look at all the wires going into it you will see why.

AutoZone Duralast Gold or for a little more $$$$ Optima, The Optima is in with the more senior members and seems to work for them. I got a Duralast gold and have had pretty good luck. Depending on your area of the country I would recommend the highest CCA available, I believe mine is 800, but I moved to Minnesota about 2 weeks after the purchase so it paid for itself. Other than a few self induced mistakes the battery never let me down. By "self induced" I mean dome light on for 4 days, neg cable corroded and not making contact.

While you are down there check the cables, negative cables from the block-battery, chassis to battery, and starter -battery. Also check the positive cables, eliminate all the obvious possibilities.

Of course as pete said, check the obvious things, contact cleaner, remove neg cable and corrosion.....etc..

Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P DONE means you are at the end of the codes or that there are no codes. It is not a failure or pending code precursor.

IndyDurango

Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 AM
shellibell

Thanks for the info, everyone. It's just strange that it only does start nicely for a few days and then it goes weeks without having a problem. I would think if it was the battery that it would just die and not just be so sporadic. I don't know if I should take it in to get it diagnosed or save the money and replace the battery on my own with the hopes that that is all it is.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well to test the battery u need to have it dead cell tested, a load test. most autozones should be able to do this for free

Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Most stores will load test the battery for free, of course be careful what you wish for but A/Z or advance should be good. If you don't recall changing out in the last year or two and it sounds like you don't otherwise you would have probably said something. Have it tested, you dont even have to take it out, their load tester is on wheels. Just tell them you need a "Battery Load Test" show them the vehicle and the machine takes care of most of the rest.

My guess with your model being an 02 is most likely the battery.

Indy, I am shocked, I thought for sure you would have made a couple of paragraph plug for Optima Batteries.........Blue top is it?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would start with the battery too, especially if it is more than a couple years old, im on battery #3 in my 02 (the second one never died, we just put the brand new one out of my dads old truck into it when we sold his old one)

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the battery and clean the terminals spotless.

I second the Auto Zone Duralast Gold because they have a 8 year warranty, best in the business and they have never let me down besides their cheap!

Quick Reply: '02 Durango won't start easily