1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C not functioning correctly

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C not functioning correctly

Hey guys, I'm in need of help/advice. Last night, I noticed the a/c wasn't blowing cold air. So I added a can of 134a. So this morning it was flowing good but towards the middle of the day, it started losing coolness. I don't know if the pump is working but the back a/c was going great. I know cause I could see it sweating all the time. But the front wasn't sweating or was sweating very little. Any help/advise? I don't want to add any more 134a cause the back is working.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the most likely case is the front blend door is jammed, or not staying 'closed' for some reason, (im assuming that you have checked that the compressor is cycling, the fan is running and all the normal stuff)

another possiblity is if you were running the a/c on the 'max' setting for too long that you froze up the cooling coil in the dash

Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Yeah, the compressor was/is cycling. And everything's working fine. I don't think it's the blend door cause the front wasn't sweating like the back. Some others have said it was a faulty expansion valve... Maybe?...

Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well there is only one system, so i would think they would both stop working if any of the compressor side stops working (the compressor, evap, expansion valve) but im not 100% sure if they somehow managed to split the refrigerant flow to two evap cores (front/back) if they would then have two expansion valves, or if they would merge again into one, it might be easiest to have a shop look at it (i wouldnt recommend working on the system beyond adding a top off can either refrigerant makes one hell of a mess if you screw it up)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Yeah, I thinkl I have a two-core system. Let me tell you why. The rear has a/c hoses going into and out of the rear under the body and right in front of the bumper. It sweats alot when I turn on the a/c. There's talk of a rear core too. I looked up the expansion valves and they listed ones for front w/ rear a/c and ones w/o rear. So I'm gonna drop her off at my local guy and have her fixed. I wouldn't want to mess with the environment by letting loose any refrigerants. Besides, if I get caught, a fine!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Okay, after much delay. I took the D to my buddy's shop. Had her hooked up to the a/c machine. Seems there was a small leak at one of the connections. Took care of business and vacuumed and added 134a. An hour or so and $30 for service and $5 for tip. Now I have cold a/c!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nicely done!

What about my tip?.....

Quick Reply: A/C not functioning correctly