1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

lifters (ugh)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM
rusmannx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifters (ugh)

so while putting this engine together (slowly) i have realized three different lifter characteristics.

1. rock solid & can not be compressed
2. spongy, springy, but not easily bottomed out
3. can easily be compressed with no spongyness, can easily be bottomed out. also, when submerged in oil i can pump it open/closed and it will push out the air and fill with oil through the small hole on the side.

the manual says:

Check lash adjusters for sponginess while installed in cylinder head and cam on camshaft at base circle. Normal adjusters should feel very firm. Spongy adjusters can be bottomed out easily.

this leads me to believe:
1. the rock solid ones are good to go according to manual (which seems weird to me).
2. the spongy ones need to be replaced according to the manual(only a couple fit this description).
3. the non-spongy ones that can be easily opened/closed and seem like they should be the best of the bunch, but of course i have no idea.

any thoughts?

Last edited by rusmannx; 06-07-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be bad springs, valves, or guides/similar. Did you have a shop clean em up and check them for straight?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
rusmannx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the machine shop checked all that stuff and replaced what needed to be. i actually haven't installed the lifters yet so the solid/spongy/easy characteristics are on the bench.

Quick Reply: lifters (ugh)