1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Air Conditioning AND Rear Windshield Wiper only work intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Cherron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning AND Rear Windshield Wiper only work intermittently

I have a 2000 Durango. I haven't had any real problems with it and have gotten all of the service done on time.

The problem that I am having is that the rear windshield wiper and the air conditioning only work when they want to. The odd part is that when one is working, the other does. So, I know that the air conditioning will work if the rear wiper will come on. I checked all of the fuses and all seemed fine.

Has any one else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

are any other electrical systems acting up? i believe that these systems are both switched through the CTM which is in the driver side kick panel (left of the e-brake), but you can also check the relays/fuses under the hood in the PDC (black box behind the battery)

Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Cherron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the fuses and relays in the black box by the battery and they all seemed fine but truthfully, I don't know what a bad relay looks like. What does the CMT look like? How will I know if it is bad? I was reading online and something said to unhook the battery and give it a minute to reset and then hook it back up. Is that something that might work?

Sorry for all of the questions! I appreciate your help

Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the CTM is the central timing module, it is the computer that controls what each and every switch input in the dash does, you can try the hard reset of the computer hardware (your procedure is close) where you disconnect the neg terminal of the battery and hold the key to start for 30 seconds, then reconnect the battery, start and stop the engine 3 times (let the idle settle in first) and then start her up and go for a drive. This is usually done for the PCM, but it cant hurt anything

the CTM is a box with a bunch of wires going into it, when it is bad electrical gremlins show up (thats all it could be such a large number of things)

and we are here to answer your questions, as long as you are patient we will do our best to get you answers

Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure sounds strange. Could be a CTM problem?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning AND Rear Windshield Wiper only work intermittently