1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Truck Driving Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:38 PM
tm985
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Truck Driving Sluggish

I'm a little bit uneducated when it comes to vehicles, but learning little by little. My 98 Durango has about 155k and from what I know about these trucks they can last a while and hopefully I get a few years out of my truck.

My question is- Today when I was driving, it's been a little bit on the sluggish side. I know it's not a Camaro but from a complete stop it can take a little bit to get going up to about 30 MPH and today when I was around 25-35 MPH it kinda did a little bit of studdering, almost like kicking back a little bit. I'm hoping to god that this is something that I can fix by maybe giving it a tune up, changing some spark plugs stuff like that.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I know when you get up there in miles, these trucks can have transmission issues but it's been babied and well maintained thus far.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it almost sounds like the truck is missing but that SHOULD throw a code

now a couple questions

when was the last tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)? these should be done every 30k, some do it yearly.

have you gotten gas at a different/strange gas station? could be some bad gas causing problems

how is the fuel pressure? (i believe it should be around 50 lbs but im sure hydra will correct me on that one)

also what engine do you have in this truck?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I like to see the fuel pressure above 50 psi which is kind of sounds like.

Second I would say a tune up and clean the Throttle Body.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Tune up first.

The cheapest place to start is: New plugs, new wires, disty cap and rotor, PCV, oil and filter change, air filter change.

IndyD

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
tm985
Professional

Thanks all for the input, I'm gonna do all that and actually since I made this thread nothing has happened other than it being a bit sluggish. My dad (previous owner) babied it but he's busy and can't always be doing all the little maintenance stuff so I'll get that taken care of. I went out and spent $80 on some plugs and wires, I'll clean the throttle body next and go from there.

Love this site thanks.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
it almost sounds like the truck is missing but that SHOULD throw a code

now a couple questions

when was the last tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)? these should be done every 30k, some do it yearly.

have you gotten gas at a different/strange gas station? could be some bad gas causing problems

how is the fuel pressure? (i believe it should be around 50 lbs but im sure hydra will correct me on that one)

also what engine do you have in this truck?
5.9 engine, I get my gas at stop and shop and have been for a while (other ppl in my house also go there because it's the cheapest around so I doubt that's the issue). the other couple of things i'd have to check on, but overall I think it's just gunked up and needs a tuneup. I had a similar problem when I had an old 4-runner and some new plugs and wires made it run like a charm. I will post back tho with some updates.

Quick Reply: My Truck Driving Sluggish