1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

help with steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennh61
i have the same clunk on my 2000 R/T. you can watch the lower joint jump if you have someone turn the wheel while you watch. junkies are all out. dealer has 1 lower 1/2, says its for the 2000 only, and wants 260$!! I was thinking of cutting it off and welding on a 3/4 inch impact universal. anyone have any other leads?
The Ball Joints are not really good (or better said a "bad design"). You could try to replace it from a local shop, probably much cheaper anyway.

Mine did that and the problem was someone didn't tighten the control arm down enough and it was moving and the torque was "popping" the wheel just like your saying. Take it in and have someone look at it. They looked at it and tightened it for free but told me I needed a alignment which I had just done so I took it back. But then again the whole wheel popped not just the ball joints.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 AM
doc_holiday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the current part number for the intermediate shaft on a 98 durango? I read that 55351171AE is the current replacement for the 55351171AA intermediate shaft. So I placed an order for the AE, and was contacted back stating:

"the part you ordered has been updated by Chrysler the part number as well as price has changed please review your order as this change has been applied."

It then goes on to state the current part number as 55351171AA, and adds another 80 bucks to the price. I had even called this Dodge Wholesale parts place before I ordered it, and he gave me the 55351171AE part number. Told me how he sells a ton of them, and to just place the order.

I've been trying to research both numbers, and the AA shafts are always cheaper than the AE ones. Which makes me suspicious of this transaction now!! I was gonna call my local dealer tomorrow, and see based of my vin what is the latest part number for my SUV. I'll post when I find out numbers, and see if I can't make a guide as I do the repair. In the meantime any help, ideas or information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks~ chris

Last edited by doc_holiday; 03-07-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
doc_holiday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well just got off the phone with my local dealer.. They actually gave me a price close to what these yahoos were trying to charge me, and they have it in stock. The latest part number which is obvious if you just look at the two is the AE. It actually went from AA to AB, AC, AD, and now AE. Guess they had a few different revs.. Well as I do this I'll try and write up a guide.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info!

If you don't mine you could do a DIY with pictures and steps for others.

Quick Reply: help with steering shaft