1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

PCV valve broke and fell in

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
99-durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve broke and fell in

I was trying to change the PCV valve and it was so old and brittle it cracked at the very tip where it sits in the grommet. A piece fell in the valve cover. Should i just take the valve cover off and get it out or should I let it go?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

First of all...what engine?........how much fell off.?...I am very hesitant to recommend leaving loose parts rattling around in the engine...especially valve train.

99...I am figuring either 5.2 or 5.9 both sound like reasonably easy steps to remove the valva cover......depending on mileage might as well be good as time as any to remove and replace the valve cover gasket.... good time for inspection of valve components while you are in there.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
99-durango

It is a 5.2 with 163000 miles. So yeah it wouldnt hurt to replace the valve gasket anyways. The plastic that fell in is probably about a .5" its the entire tip of the PCV valve. Also I think the little ball bearing in the valve fell in as well not sure. Is there a filter or screen under the valve cover? Im pulling it off first thing in the morning and gonna try and get the plastic out and hopefully find that little ball bearing and use a vaccuum if I have to. My concern is if there is anything that might have stopped it from falling deep inside where I cant see or get to it? Im gonna do my best to get out what I can. Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
99-durango

Do you think there is any chance it could be right on top where I can get it all out?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

If you have not moved the vehicle or attempted any starts since the piece fell it should be right where it fell. Until you get the valve cover off for further inspection DO NOT MOVE VEHICLE OR ATTEMPT TO START if it is rattling around in there you dont want to move it any further...although a long shot there is a small chance depending on how small it is that it could get sucked up by the intake valve, burned in the combustion cycle and spit out the exhaust.... the question is how much damage could it do during that time.

TO be safe remove the valve covers inspect that area and hope for the best. If it is a big enough piece then it might be right at the top....While you are going in there it wouldnt hurt to get some engine degreaser and cleaner for the valve train area and again while you are at it might as well inspect some obvious areas for damage...

Don't get worried about what could happen until you get the valve cover off and inspect.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
although a long shot there is a small chance depending on how small it is that it could get sucked up by the intake valve, burned in the combustion cycle and spit out the exhaust....

Can you explain to me how something can get from in the valve cover into the combustion chamber?

It will most likely not hurt anyhting but it could get into a valve spring or rocker and cause untold damage. I would most definatley pull the valve cover and remove the pieces.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Basically getting sucked up in the intake valve then burned...again a longshot but is it a chance you want to take?

You went the other possibility of getting caught in a valve spring and doing damage there.... either way it needs to be removed.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it will most likely drop down into an Oil Gallery, and end up in the Oil pan now (which you can ignore it)
But definitely open up the Valve cover and look for it. If you can't find it anywhere, it is probably in the Oil pan.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Basically getting sucked up in the intake valve then burned...again a longshot but is it a chance you want to take?
Won't happen. Think about it for a second. It would have to get sucked through the PCV valve to get in the intake tract. Anything small enough to go through a PCV valve is small enough not to worry about at all.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff85ta
It will most likely not hurt anyhting but it could get into a valve spring or rocker and cause untold damage. I would most definatley pull the valve cover and remove the pieces.
Sorry, got to back Biff up on this one.

There is no way for anything on the revers side of the combustion chamber to make it's way into the combustion combustion unless it made it's way through the valve guides or the piston rings.

If it is a larger diameter piece it should still be still on the top of the head and you could get to it by removing the valve cover. If it is small enough to fit down the oil jackets then you will have to ensure that all the jackets are clear so lubrication can continue.

If it made it all the way down to the oil pan then you would have to make a choice; bag it and hope the pieces get caught in the oil filter or on the oil pump pick up screen (which it should hands down) or pull the oil pan and clean everything out. To do this you have to either lift the motor or lower the front suspension to make room. Huge job!

To me this is what I would do, if it is a piece over 1/8 inch then pull the valve cover, if under let it go and be done with it!

Quick Reply: PCV valve broke and fell in