1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C Issue - 2002

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Ok dan, I can help but there might be a little bit of a problem with me doing A/C work on other people's vehicles. I tend to leave out LOTS of screws and nuts and have had many people complain about the rattles in their vehicles. I then tell them that at least the A/C is blowing real cold so what is a few rattles versus creature comfort. Gets them every time!! (In reality, I am not a hack when it comes to other people's vehicles, just trying to scare Dan into rethinking what he is offering me.)
Hell ya!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
dlworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar problem with the a/c in our '02 Durango. At idle, a/c blows hot humid air, at highway speeds, a/c blows very comfortable air. I am not hearing any noises when shutting the engine off, nor do I have any indication that the problem is the compressor.

Something else that I have noticed is that starting from stop (i.e a red light) after running the engine for a while, the engine sounds like it is revving at very high rpm. Once moving, all is well.

I am checking the fuses and relays today, but I don't see any obvious problems with them by looking so far.

Any help would be appreciated, the right help will gain admiration forever. Photos of the parts mentioned would be incredible.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

The answer to your first question is have your freon checked, sounds like you are low on freon. Second answer is the sound you are hearing is the clutch fan engaging and creating the noise you are hearing, it is not your engine revving up. Once you get air flow through your condenser and radiator, the clutch fan will free wheel and not make that noise, which you are experiencing after moving along. Also make sure your E-fan is working when you turn on your A/C.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 AM
dlworth

Thanks Pete, I have checked the freon, all is good. I checked the fuses and relay, they are good as well. I have narrowed it to an air flow problem and the e-fan is not working.

Now, I should I simply replace the e-fan (if so, easy to follow directions would be great), or can anyone suggest an easy way to test the fan to make sure I am not losing power between the relay and the fan itself.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

You would need a multimeter to check out for power to the E-fan connector. 9 times out of 10 the E-fan needs replacing esp. if all fuses and relays check good. Being the year that your Durango is, it most likely will need an E-fan. Pretty simple project to do if you get the same stock one for replacement. I read that NAPA carries a replacement or you can go to the Stealership and get one.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

id go to napa for it, cheaper than the dealer iirc

Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
dlworth

I have replaced the e-fan, the revving sound has been corrected, but not the a/c problem although it seems to me to be somewhat better, my wife says no, and as everyone knows, the wife is always right. No problems with the freon, the mechanic that looked at it over the weekend, says everything is working right, any other ideas?

In reading other threads, I have found that the mechanical fan can be removed without any adverse effects, is this true, if so, would replacing the fan clutch make a difference, if not, would replacing the fan clutch make a difference?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM
99dodgedurangoSLT5.2rwd
Rookie

Originally Posted by dlworth
I have replaced the e-fan, the revving sound has been corrected, but not the a/c problem although it seems to me to be somewhat better, my wife says no, and as everyone knows, the wife is always right. No problems with the freon, the mechanic that looked at it over the weekend, says everything is working right, any other ideas?

In reading other threads, I have found that the mechanical fan can be removed without any adverse effects, is this true, if so, would replacing the fan clutch make a difference, if not, would replacing the fan clutch make a difference?
Ok here is what i wanna know. Do you have the back seat ac(I Just got my durango so i dont know if they all have it) Cause my front ac blows somewhat cold but not on max i have to put it on top and feet. An sometimes it will go crazy hot and i have to turn it back to max for a min idk what thats about

But what i have noticed is the back ac rocks if i have the back ac on high it seems to cool the truck with the front on low. I wanted to know if your back ac was the same as the front or if they are both blowing hot

Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
dlworth

The rear a/c appears to behave as the front, when moving down the road, it is great, when at idle or low speed, it blows warm, but does not seem to be as hot as the front.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be a fan issue or low on freon.

Quick Reply: A/C Issue - 2002