1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

More mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 07:43 PM
smokersteve
|
Professional
Default More mods

Hey guys so far I have what I have on my sig. I would like some more. What I have done so far has helped alloooooot and the mods cost $0.00 and I get 23 mpg going 65mph on the lie-o-meter

Thanks

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i would put a muffler back on (partly bc its illegal in most states not to have one, partly bc your truck was designed to run with a full exhaust system and without a full system it wont run at 100%)

23 on the highway is about as good as you will EVER get out of one of these trucks, even being only 2wd (i get 21-22 highway if im VERY nice to mine and i have a 4x4)

Old 07-10-2010 | 12:26 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I would also use the PVC and Crankcase breather. Many acidic chemicals are made in the crank case by blow by and you should vent them out. Why have you removed them?

Old 07-13-2010 | 12:21 AM
smokersteve
|
Professional

I took the vents off because I do not want blow by in my intake. Combustion is much better with out exhaust gases and oil being introduced.
AAAANNND removing the vents was very easy. Thats a big plus

The muffler is just for fun

Old 07-13-2010 | 12:44 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The problem with this is it makes acid in the crank case. You need to vent clean air in and remove the blow by, but each to their own.

Old 07-13-2010 | 07:35 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

hey steve, instead of removing the vents altogether, alot of people have taken and put an air filter (for an air compressor) inline to filter out the oil, this way it is getting out of the engine, and staying out of the intake, best of both worlds.

Old 07-13-2010 | 11:07 AM
smokersteve
|
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The problem with this is it makes acid in the crank case. You need to vent clean air in and remove the blow by, but each to their own.

The vent to the intake does not put air in the crank case, Blow by is a pressure situation from the rings. The vents suck the blow by out even though blow by flow through the eng is the same whether there is a suction or not. Blow by will occur at the same rate and be removed from the crank case at the same rate connected or unconnected.

The connections on the intake from the vent tubes are plugged to keep clean filtered air in the intake and the tubes have a cloth over them to keep stuff from getting in but allow full venting.

Old 07-13-2010 | 11:08 AM
smokersteve
|
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hey steve, instead of removing the vents altogether, alot of people have taken and put an air filter (for an air compressor) inline to filter out the oil, this way it is getting out of the engine, and staying out of the intake, best of both worlds.
Thanks but that still puts exhasut gases back into the intake.

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by smokersteve
The vent to the intake does not put air in the crank case, Blow by is a pressure situation from the rings. The vents suck the blow by out even though blow by flow through the eng is the same whether there is a suction or not. Blow by will occur at the same rate and be removed from the crank case at the same rate connected or unconnected.

The connections on the intake from the vent tubes are plugged to keep clean filtered air in the intake and the tubes have a cloth over them to keep stuff from getting in but allow full venting.
You are mistaken my friend.

Yes there is blow by caused between the rings and the cylinder walls. However there is a fresh air "breather" as well as a PCV valve. The way it works is the PCV causes a vacuum on the engine! It sucks the blow by out of the motor but is enough to also pull in fresh air from the breather. This keeps the acids from forming!

To test to see if you have Positive Crankcase Ventilation they make a tester that you take out your oil fill oil cap (fill in valve cover) and place a special flat vacuum tool that has a seal in place of the oil cap. Then you watch to see how much vacuum you pull to ensure that there is a vacuum on the motor at all times in all different RPM's to remove the blow by and cause fresh air to be drawn in through the breather (on the other side of the motor). This way fresh air moves thoroughly through the block and helps to remove residual blow by.

A equal pressure can cause cavitation the oil pump and also the blow by is very corrosive not to mention many other reasons NOT just emissions. Plain and simple, you should not run without it and that is why I asked the question.

They make filters for tube to pick up oil, or you can use a large pneumatic air filter to take out the oil if that is all your worried about. They also make cleaners to clean out the intake manifold. It really is not that big of deal?

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-14-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 12:54 PM
smokersteve
|
Professional

O ok I understand now, there is a vent for fresh air. ok I will re-connect the PCV. Can I keep the valvetrain vents off?

Quick Reply: More mods