1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Freedog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission woes

I did a search and read the tranny sticky but I'm not sure if my issue has been covered. I have a 2003 Durango and when I start it for the first time of the day, the tranny will slip when i'm trying to leave the driveway. Once it engages, it's usually good for the day and engages without an issue. It doesn't do it every morning though.

I figure i should probably change the fluid and the filter and adjust the band since I know it hasn't been done. What else could I be looking at as a cause. My Durango has about 122k miles on it and it's starting to get hungry (front driveshaft, e-fan, etc) but I like it and it's almost payed off so I would like to keep it and possibly start playing with it IE semi-gloss black paint, mild lift, etc.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

make sure you have enough fluid in the transmission, if you DO then i would change the fluid and filter and see if that alleviates the problem

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Freedog
I did a search and read the tranny sticky but I'm not sure if my issue has been covered. I have a 2003 Durango and when I start it for the first time of the day, the tranny will slip when i'm trying to leave the driveway. Once it engages, it's usually good for the day and engages without an issue. It doesn't do it every morning though.

I figure i should probably change the fluid and the filter and adjust the band since I know it hasn't been done. What else could I be looking at as a cause. My Durango has about 122k miles on it and it's starting to get hungry (front driveshaft, e-fan, etc) but I like it and it's almost payed off so I would like to keep it and possibly start playing with it IE semi-gloss black paint, mild lift, etc.
Sounds normal to me.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
Sounds normal to me.
the transmission slipping sounds NORMAL!!?!?!??!!

(no offense meant here but) WTF ARE YOU SMOKING??????(bc it must be pretty good, send some my way )

Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the transmission slipping sounds NORMAL!!?!?!??!!

(no offense meant here but) WTF ARE YOU SMOKING??????(bc it must be pretty good, send some my way )
Mine does it. Mine does it even with a Martin Saine transmission. New Jeep Grand Cherokees did it right out of the showroom when I sold them.

It has something to do with the fluid being cold and not flowing for a short period. Probably a 5.2/5.9 thing only.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

that almost sounds like its low on fluid and not getting enough right off the bat, (yes i have seen factory fills that were low)

but thats definitely odd, the transmission shouldnt slip IMO unless something is wrong (low fluid, bad clutch packs/torque converter, ect)

Old 07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with it being odd??????

However with temps under 35 degrees the trans can act funny and/or lock out of OD.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
that almost sounds like its low on fluid and not getting enough right off the bat, (yes i have seen factory fills that were low)

but thats definitely odd, the transmission shouldnt slip IMO unless something is wrong (low fluid, bad clutch packs/torque converter, ect)
All I can tell you is that I've seen it on many Jeeps/Dodges including my $3,500 brand new Martin Saine tranny that I KNOW there is nothing wrong with including not being low on fluid.

It's only for a second or two and only on cold start up after the truck has been sitting for a good period of time. You put it in gear and press the gas to move and the engine revs (not a free rev like in neutral) and the vehicle moves but VERY slowly. After that first second, it moves just like normal. Doesn't happen every time but it does do it sometimes.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Then it sounds like a bad inline check valve. There is one that keeps the torque convertor from back draining into the pan. If it does not stop flow (back siphonage) then you have to wait a few seconds out of park when you place it in drive for the fluid to fill the system. Just wait 10-15 seconds and it wont do that and it will help save the trans.

You can find this valve inline between the hard line and the rubber lines to the radiator. It is on the hot side if I remember right.

Quick Reply: Transmission woes