1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can jump the switch to see if it is a solenoid or a bad ground.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 AM
zeke@zekescfc.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to ground the problem wire from the relay box (well 99 percent) of it is grounded,but the clutch still won't engage. Dia. now points to PCM and that probably means wire harness too. Thank God for windows and 60MPH- ZEEKESTER

Last edited by zeke@zekescfc.com; 07-23-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
zeke@zekescfc.com

Thanx Hydrashocker I just hate paying shops to work on tec. problems, I think they loose track of time,and my money. The only thing I have going for me, is I remember when I installed 480 Comp. roller cam this occured.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I like new roller cams.......LOL

First lets figure out what the issue is:

Unplug the solenoid.

Hook a hot wire to the hot and ground the negative end while the engine is running and see if it engauges. If it does the problem is elsewhere. If it still does NOT engauge then it's the solenoid on the A/C clutch.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I like new roller cams.......LOL

First lets figure out what the issue is:

Unplug the solenoid.

Hook a hot wire to the hot and ground the negative end while the engine is running and see if it engauges. If it does the problem is elsewhere. If it still does NOT engauge then it's the solenoid on the A/C clutch.

ummm, i think you mean if this causes it to engage then the solenoid IS the problem . . . (drink much tonight )

Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 AM
zeke@zekescfc.com

My high pressure cut off switch, is reading voltage on both sides. My book doesn't show the solenoid is it at the bottom of the compressor, can you direct me? I like my Comp. Roller too,Hydrashooker Thanks. Has 1.7 roller rockers too, MOPAR PERFORMANCE kit. I really like your High Boy, I'd like to look under the hood of that BEAST. Try 26MPG with a Cortex(is my face red)and other gooodies. zeekester
I did jump the low presser cut off switch, by the fire wall,shoot no good,and probed the wires to get the clutch to engage and it run, and grounded the ground side of that HPCOS, shucks no good again. I need to get a gun, and not a BFH-right? LOL

Last edited by zeke@zekescfc.com; 07-23-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 AM
zeke@zekescfc.com
Default Why put 22 inch reams on a low rider?? Dah

1999 Dango I calls it the "Beast" Plate reads PXT

Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
ummm, i think you mean if this causes it to engage then the solenoid IS the problem . . . (drink much tonight )
I don't think you understand. To make a circut you have power go into the hot side and ground the other side. If the solenoid clicks on the magnet powers clenching the clutch plates and the compressor would engage and run. If now the clutch would not engage it would just spin on the bearings.

My high pressure cut off switch, is reading voltage on both sides. My book doesn't show the solenoid is it at the bottom of the compressor, can you direct me? I like my Comp. Roller too,Hydrashooker Thanks. Has 1.7 roller rockers too, MOPAR PERFORMANCE kit. I really like your High Boy, I'd like to look under the hood of that BEAST. Try 26MPG with a Cortex(is my face red)and other gooodies. zeekester
I did jump the low presser cut off switch, by the fire wall,shoot no good,and probed the wires to get the clutch to engage and it run, and grounded the ground side of that HPCOS, shucks no good again. I need to get a gun, and not a BFH-right? LOL
As for your question, it's not a High Boy as that was a Ford back in the day, but thanks anyway. It is a 1999 Ram 2500, 4X4, V10. It has a 4" lift and 33" tires (which next year go to 35's maybe). Theres nothing but motor under that hood and it goes all the way up to the front crowl. Besides, I'm gettin 15 hwy and 6-8 city.....LOL.....and it's going to get worse when I change out 4.10 gears....

Name:  100_4217.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  100_4216.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  100_4214.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  135.5 KB

Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I don't think you understand. To make a circut you have power go into the hot side and ground the other side. If the solenoid clicks on the magnet powers clenching the clutch plates and the compressor would engage and run. If now the clutch would not engage it would just spin on the bearings.
no i understand fine, i was thinking jump the clutch directly to a power supply and ground, my bad . . .

Old 08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Ive noticed today that my a/c compressor is not spinning is there anything else i can do to fix it without replacing it completly? It will turn by hand it just wont engage, also it looks to be grounded on the compressor itself on the back right side...looks kinda iffy to me but Im no expert. Also it blew a shot of cold air for the first time after i secured some wires back into the terminal on the - side but only lasted a second now theres a kinda sloshing sound every few seconds which gets louder with the blower

Last edited by My1stDurango; 08-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 durango ac problem