1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clutch Fan vs. Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Durango1992
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay another update.... I bought another fuse at Napa and the second I put it in it blew it. So that must mean there is a short. Is that something that should be taken to a professional or can you fix it pretty easily?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you should be able to track it down on your own just fine, just follow the wires until you find something thats not properly insulated, or even easier, just unplug the e-fan and see if the fuse blows when you put it in, if not you need a new e-fan.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say the motor is pulling too many amp's. When this happens the problem is usually the motor. I would disconnect the harness from the fan and check for continuity to ground off the main lead. If everything checks out then I would move to the fan.

It is a very normal thing that if motors are on the way out they draw more amps.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
TomQ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the engine in a 5.9 Durango 4X4, the Radiator and fan clutch, water pump and a few others were replaced too. My question is when I start off on a cold engine or after it has warmed up and pull off from a full stop. There is a sound from the engine that sounds like a air plane taking off. I have been told it was the fan clutch not working properly and some says that is the sound it does. I am confused. Can some one tell if they had the same problem. The mechanic said it was my transmission slipping, the transmission was rebuilt the summer of 2009, took it back under warranty and they said there is nothing wrong with the Transmission but the fan clutch is pulling too much power. Oh I am confused.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it is the fan clutch, its NORMAL, anyone who tells you otherwise, i wouldnt trust. when you first start the truck in the morning the fluid in the clutch has settled, engaging the fan, if you rev it a couple times it should push the fluid around and let the fan disengage, what you are hearing is the fan blades pulling alot of air through the engine bay, this is good bc it means if you do happen to start overheating the fan will stop it from getting too bad.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The clutch fan is tight and just needs time to loosen up. I think your fine.

When you stop for a fuel up the fan is right next to the radiator and heats up and clamps down tell it cools for the first few minutes and lets go. On a cold start, the fluid in the clutch has settled down by gravity and heat (just like what I was describing) and thus until it separates it clamps down. This is normal for the clutch fan.

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan vs. Electric Fan