1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Duplicolor wheel painting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know much about painting and how long it would take you but i would imagine it would just be smarter to strip down the wheels again and do them correctly?

Last edited by LuxuryDodge; 08-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 AM
ajoshi91
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you know they weren't done wrong necessarily. The thing was i was putting on maybe at best 2 coats and they where very light. So on parts of the wheel that were more visible/accessible got better coat's while the areas tucked into the "crevices" of the wheel didn't get a good coat. Also just found this out about duplicolor but if you dont do the "ENTIRE" process of cleaning, sanding, cleaning, priming, painting multiple light coats roughly ten minutes apart then one larger thicker coat per rim then also very few light coat's or clear paint they won't turn out right.

All i had done was clean sanded and painted 2 light coats.

If duplicolor is sprayed from the recommended 8-12 inches away and the process isn't dead on the paint turns dusty/powder-ish.
And if you put on to heavy of a coat from close it will run.

I ended up sanding down the rims where needed, and cleaned them down. I finished with a few good coats of "Rustoleum Protective Enamel" spray paint. It is much better quality paint.

It shines better in the light, it feels nice and smooth all around. And it dries fully in 24 hours. Which since it was done tonight and the car won't be touched all day tomorrow it will get the full time to dry.

It is dry to the touch and has a nice smooth surface now. Also it is enamel and is known to be durable. (People have painted full cars with rustoleum protective enamel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DPLY...eature=related

It also withstands up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Much better product in my opinion.

Sorry for the scare indydurango and shrpshtr!

But i will get them powder coated next spring/summer to fix the imperfections i created using duplicolor.

Last edited by ajoshi91; 08-29-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Duplicolor wheel painting?