1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Steering Rack, any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
NCDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Steering Rack, any insight?

I just bought a new remanufactured steering rack from Advance auto. they had a $40 coupon for $100+ purchases which made the rack $128. Anyway, my original rack is leaking and the inner tie rod is popping so it is time to tackle this job.

My question to the group is, are there any tricks or special issues to address? i plan to reuse the outer tie rod ends as they seem to be fine.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would replace the tie rods just for peace of mind besides you are going to need a alignment anyways.

Drain out as much PS fluid as ya can and replace with Fully Synthetic.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
penick33

I recently had a shop do the tie rods, rack and pinion, shocks and had new tires put on. The Durango rides incredibly better, like night and day. I highly recommend just doing the entire job including shocks if they are needed. Check your bump stops also, mine were corroded and falling apart. Yes, I had a shop do my work because I busted up my ankle in a motorcycle wreck not too long ago. I freakin hate paying shop labor!!! Good luck though!

I know Hydra knows his stuff, but I recently topped my power steering off with the fluid the book recommends ATF+4. Not sure what your situation is but thats what I used.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
NCDurango
Rookie

I plan to use Castrol ATF+4 fluid when i refill. i might try to turn the pump a few turns by hand (wrench) to get as much fluid out of it as possible. i have a 3 year alignment with the tire place that recently put my Yoko's on so i might wait for the outer ends.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM
NCDurango
Rookie

i went ahead and bought some outter ends from AZ. they are duralast with a lifetime warranty. i hope they are decent quality. i plan to take the old rack off, measure the length of each end from a given point and repeat the measurements on the new rack. that should be okay to get me to the alignment shop afterwards. any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you got it, thats exactly wha tyou should do then take it for alignment immediately

Quick Reply: New Steering Rack, any insight?