1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hemi Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

late model year 02 got one unit for pcm/tcm on the 4.7, i believe 03 also had this setup, going beyond that im not sure, but just for reference.

Old 01-27-2011 | 09:12 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I was wrong about the 2005 MDS.They didn't start with that until 2006..And I also fount out that the 2005 is the most tunable of the three, 03'-04'-05- Hemi's.Making the 2005 Hemi the best one for the swap..
I hope your'e still considering doing the swap..It's been a while since youv'e wrote.

Old 01-27-2011 | 09:49 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

looks like im going to start looking for an 05 1500 with a hemi

Old 01-27-2011 | 09:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
So the wiring harness is the same for a 2000-2003 Durango with a 4.7L as the HEMI in the 2004+ that runs the T-case so plug and play?
Also while we are on the mend;

This is incorrect. There is a 16 tooth or a 32 tooth 4.7L making most 2000's a 16 tooth and the 2001-2003's the 32 tooth systems. Check to ensure.

Old 01-27-2011 | 11:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
This is incorrect. There is a 16 tooth or a 32 tooth 4.7L making most 2000's a 16 tooth and the 2001-2003's the 32 tooth systems. Check to ensure.
+1. 32 tooth system just ain't the same and doesn't match up.

Old 01-28-2011 | 06:32 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Freak_Leg
So the question is... Why Not!?
And the answer is if you have to even ask....

Honestly, you are embarking on a project that will end up costing you far more than just selling what you have and buying what you want.

I've lived through this nightmare more than once. It's just never cost effective.

Old 01-28-2011 | 08:19 AM
Freak_Leg
|

Originally Posted by coreybv
And the answer is if you have to even ask....

Honestly, you are embarking on a project that will end up costing you far more than just selling what you have and buying what you want.

I've lived through this nightmare more than once. It's just never cost effective.
Care to give some detail on this? From what I have read an 03-04 5.7 with pcm and wire harness should drop right in place of the 4.7 without much hassle. An engine harness and pcm can be pulled from a bone yard with relativly low mikes for right around 2k. So in THEORY this is a 2k project that could be done in a weekend or two, but we all know how theory works on vehicles.

Please, if I am over looking something let me know.

Old 01-28-2011 | 02:01 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Freak_Leg
Please, if I am over looking something let me know.
It's possible that you're not.

I've been involved in several engine swaps, though. From using a bigger engine that was actually an option in the vehicle to stuffing a chevy 350 into a nissan 300ZX.

My experience has been that no matter how much time and effort you put into planning, little unforseen things pop up along the way and you end up with double the time and double the money that was planned.

This may be the exception. I've just seen these projects get out of control enough times to no longer have much interest in doing them. These newer vehicles just aren't like the old muscle cars. So many interrelated systems that engine swaps can get complicated very fast.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 01-31-2011 | 12:51 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Swaps are a love affair type thing.If you love your truck but it came with a 4.7 ,why not put the motor in that you wish it would have came with.
Knowladge is the key to an engine swap.The more you know-the easier it is..Everyone I called for help and parts told me "It can't be done"..One junk yard here didn't want to sell me parts for my swap.They said I would only want my money back when I figured out that it won't work,and I can't do it.
If your truck came with a 318,it's easier to swap to a 360.If it came with a 4.7 It's easier to swap to a Hemi. but almost no swap is going to be plug and play-you just have to want it bad enough to do it..

Old 01-31-2011 | 01:09 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Swaps are a love affair type thing.If you love your truck but it came with a 4.7 ,why not put the motor in that you wish it would have came with.

but almost no swap is going to be plug and play-you just have to want it bad enough to do it..
I guess that's kind of what I'm saying. Obviously the people that told you "it can't be done" were wrong. Of course it can be done.

The question is why spend 5 grand and many, many hours upgrading the truck you have when you could go buy one just like it with the motor you want for about the same money.

When it's all said and done, the point I'm trying to make is that anyone considering an engine swap should also consider replacing the vehicle as an alternative. At least examine it as an option, because in many cases it would be less expensive and less hassle than swapping an engine. It all depends on what you have, what you want to replace it with, and what's already available road-ready on the market...

Now, having said all that, there's another thread on here at the moment about swapping in a V-10 from a Viper. Now THAT'S an engine swap project I could get excited about.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap??