1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 4.7 AWD/4WD Coolant Overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
JoePJack1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 4.7 AWD/4WD Coolant Overflowing

My coolant is blowing out the reserve tank while I am driving. Pressure tested system, held pressure. Needle did go down a smidge after several minutes no visual evidence of leaks. Friend said its my head gasket. I do get smoke on initial start up but goes away after about 2 minutes. Also with Rad cap off and engine running evry 5 seconds air bubbles come up like clock work. Engine does not over heat as long as I top fluid off every day.

My question is...I see I can buy Remanned heads for $300 each side (got 3 quotes) with 1yr 12000 mile warranty. In stead of sending my heads out for plaining and inspection. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

2nd... Going to do job with my friend but the three timing chain system this engine uses is giving me some doubts about embarking down this trip...any personal opinions or tips would be great...I have the Haynes manual to help me.....thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

well if you had a bad head gasket it wouldnt pass a pressure test, but just to be 100% sure, to a leakdown test on the system, leave it pressurized for a few hours, if it holds pressure the system is sealed up just fine and you have a different problem.

next thing to check is if there is alot of dead bugs/dirt ect stuck in the radiator, clean it out with a hose, if not flushing the system never hurts anything, and could show a clogged radiator or heater core, which would aggravate the problem.

also take a look at your cooling fans, the clutch fan should spin less than 1/2 a turn when the engine is off and you give it a push by hand, if it goes farther, replace the clutch, also make sure that the e-fan comes on with the a/c, if not try to swap the e-fan relay for another one with the same number, if that doesnt do it you could try to jump 12v right to the fan and see if its functioning, if not replace the e-fan first.

also if you have a headgasket leak you would most likely see some white smoke in the exhaust, especially when you first start the truck.

but this sounds like the problem we had w/ my sisters vw beetle, and it turned out to be a bad water pump that wasnt pushing the coolant through properly

Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
neogeo

what is the color of the smoke when it first starts and does it do it everytime or does it have to sit for a while before it will smoke on start up .. if it has to sit a while then more than likely its valve seals causing the smoke on start up. the smoke should be blueish white if its oil from the leaking valve seals . if its pure white then its anitfreeze or coolant and the smoke would have a sweet smell to it.

Last edited by neogeo; 09-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Blue if oil.

Black if unburned fuel.

White is water/humidity.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
JoePJack1

Got a block test kit @ Auto Zone (for FREE FYI) It changed color. So I guess that confirms that. Got a beater car until I can save up to fix the D. My friend looked it up 16 hours labor for both sides Any thoughts on swapping out the heads for the remanufactured ones while its apart? instead of repairing the original ones? 125,000 on car

Old 09-11-2010, 05:25 PM
dolittle
Veteran

You didn't say what the remanufactured ones will cost but if they have new valves and seals that is what I would go with. You can check with you local machine shop and see what it coasts for a head repair. Have them magniflux install new seals and valves.
Use the best head gasket you can get and take your time.
I use to try and get my car work done as fast as I could and I found that I hated to work on my machines. Now I take my time and If I'm not enjoying it I go and kiss my wife and take it easy for awhile. (I don't really kiss her I just have a drink )

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
JoePJack1

$300 each side for the remanufactured heads 1yr 12000mile parts only warranty

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dolittle
You didn't say what the remanufactured ones will cost but if they have new valves and seals that is what I would go with. You can check with you local machine shop and see what it coasts for a head repair. Have them magniflux install new seals and valves.
Use the best head gasket you can get and take your time.
I use to try and get my car work done as fast as I could and I found that I hated to work on my machines. Now I take my time and If I'm not enjoying it I go and kiss my wife and take it easy for awhile. (I don't really kiss her I just have a drink )
Sounds familiar!.....

Quick Reply: 01 4.7 AWD/4WD Coolant Overflowing