1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tps

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps

I have a 2003 Durango with a 4.7 engine. I posted earlier but wasnt paying attention and posted in wrong forum, sorry I am a newbie. When the TPS needs replacing, do you not receive a code? I have already replaced the IAC but still having the same problem. The idle RPMs are revving from 650 to 1200. I have no codes or no engine lights coming on. We cleaned the throttle body replaced IAC and it ran like new for about 2 weeks. Now in stop and go traffic it will rev so bad up and down that it actually dies. It does seem to get better the longer you drive it, but if you turn it off seems you start all over. The more abrupt the stopping and going the worse it is, if you can stop and go smoothly it doesn't die. I appreciate any help, I have been fighting with my CJ7 for the past 6 weeks and just got it running when this pops up.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually the TPS code will not pop up. You usually get the motor to revv up and down about 300 RPM especially when the cruse is on going down the hwy.

Now a question, when you cleaned the TB did you take off the IAC and clean the housing the plunger sits in REALLY good? Most of the time a good deep clean is all ya need.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

I had a mechanic clean it, but yes he specifically said he took off the IAC and cleaned all of that. In the beginning he cleaned all of that and put the old IAC back on. It fixed the revving but the idle was to high, the truck would actually climb my driveway with no acceleration what so ever, I have a 35 degree driveway. So we put on a new IAC and it worked like new for 2 weeks now it is doing it again. I read someone else was having the same problem and someone suggested the TPS. My mechanic is baffled, he says it gives off no codes and he has no other ideas.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the tps wont throw any codes most of the time

Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

OK, I replaced the TPS and I have to say so far so good... keep fingers crossed and saying a little prayer. Thanks for the help, I sure hope this is final fix this time.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Sounds good.

Did you notice reving of the motor with the cruse is on like it is going in and out of lock up on the trans?

Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

Yes I did notice it, but not somthing that jumped out at me, I really had to pay attention and it only did it a couple times, but it was a relatively short drive. The reason I decided to change it, was the fact that deceleration was taking longer.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

I also have noticed in the last few weeks, it has developed a ticking. Sounds like a stuck lifter, it ticks for about first 2 to 3 minutes after crank up then goes away. Is it a lifter and what might be the best solution?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Then replace the TPS.

If it goes away then change the oil with 10W-30 Fully Synthetic (I like Mobil one) and get a good filter like Bosch, Mobil One FS, or K&N. The problem is most likely a bad check valve on the oil filter and all the oil is draining back into the oil pan so it has to pre-load the filter and entire system before it gets there it's running dry on the head. Now the 4.7L engine does this anyway on start up as most people will tell you, and you might have started noticing because there are other things going on so your sensitive.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea mine ticks on first start up in the morning for about a minute, once it goes away tho its gone for the day