1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case clicking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
cyclopsblown34
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case clicking

In my 2002 Durango SLT + with AWD, it has developed a click in the transfer case on the input shaft area. I put it up in the air and had my son put it in gear and listened til the click started, it is definitely on the input/mainshaft of the transfer case. I changed the transfer case fluid and there were no metal filings, I cleaned the drain pan before draining the transfer case and then ran the oil through a paint strainer into a bottle, no filings or dust even. I put the synthetic Mopar specific ATF in it. It clicks when loaded either by the engine or wheels driving it, it stops clicking in the transition where there is no load on it. Any ideas on what it might be?
Thanks,
Chip.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be a loose chain and under load is where you would hear it. Also could be a end shaft bearing on the trans or imput bearing on the T-case. Personally, I would drop the T-case and check em. Then open the T-case and install a new chain and seals (don't worry about the gears if they look good) and install. At least that will put some closure on the T-case.

Also if you find nothing I would look into the trans and pull the filter and check the magnet. Filter, adjustment, then refill ATF+4 in both.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
cyclopsblown34
Amateur

Thanks Hydrashocker. I'll check it out this weekend if all works out right.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Take some pictures please!

You can host them to www.photobucket.com then link the picture [IMG] link here in your post and it will post the picture or just a simple link to your album will do.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
cyclopsblown34
Amateur

Will do, it depends partly on the boss. This is our first weekend since I can't remember when, me and the missus have the house to ourselves. Our son is driving to Springfield to see his girlfriend at college. I might just get the 62 Impala a client is bringing over for restoration put in the work bay. Right now my son's 95 Eclipse is in our booth awaiting my paint gun tonight. Hopefully I get it painted and finish the disc brake conversion on the 46 International tonight.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
hunt / fish

just had my t-case rebuilt 2500 4x4 the chain was stretched and a sprocket was wasted

got her just it time , before the chain broke and cracked the case, 800 bucks later

Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 AM
cyclopsblown34
Amateur

Originally Posted by hunt / fish
just had my t-case rebuilt 2500 4x4 the chain was stretched and a sprocket was wasted

got her just it time , before the chain broke and cracked the case, 800 bucks later
Ouch!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I had my Durango NV242HD T-case rebuilt (performance) and installed for just under $800 and that included a new gear sensor for it too.

If the gears are good, then there is no issues just a chain and seals if ya want to.

Quick Reply: Transfer case clicking