1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Code P0601 PCM Internal Controller Failure??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Augie Dog
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0601 PCM Internal Controller Failure??

I have a code I posted in title and was wondering what this meant. I called Advance Auto and the parts guy said I need to figure out what has failed?? He could not tell me any more than that. So my question is what information do I need to get to repair this. I used the codes Hydrashocker posted (thanks Hydrashocker for that info) it was a big help. Can I research this info on here? I need to do repair because my tags expired and my inspection is due and they will not inspect with the light on. I got a ticket for expired tags and I need inspection before I can get tags!!! Don't you just love state laws? My Durango is a 2001 SLT 2wd 4.7 engine

Last edited by Augie Dog; 09-17-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a PCM failure. Try to reset the PCM here:
To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.
If it comes back then you probably need a new PCM (which is the main computer) and the code means a internal PCM failure. You can get them on Ebay shipped directly to your house PRE-FLASHED for direct install. You have to buy it for the year and motor size you have. You will need to give them the VIN number, Mileage and what not. You can pick em up for about $200 and they come with a lifetime warranty. Also make sure if you do buy one that you buy from a company with great feed back and lots of sales.

Lastly check your battery terminals and load test your battery or replace if it is old.

Quick Reply: Code P0601 PCM Internal Controller Failure??