1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

odometer reading "no bus"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

its rare for them to malfunction, and if they do the new one needs to be programmed with the correct VIN#, mileage and a couple of other things

Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
BDBax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous jeep would do that every so often. There's a connection just behind the dash that would disconnect. Considering you just had the alarm installed that would be where I'd check first. Just my .02...

Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM
lazyfogducker

Had this problem last week . Was returning to stock setting with superchip. When my daughter open the door. It froze the computer.NO BUS came up. Superchip told me to disconnect positive cable and turn on headligths to reset computer. Cheap fix didnt work. Called a friend witch worked at dodge . He disconected positive cable and touched it to negative cable. It drained all power out of the truck. After hooked it all back up and computer was reset. He was saying car starter will cause same problem. Hope it helps.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i would NEVER touch the positive and negative cables together, it can cause way more problems by sending a surge through the electrical system, this can fry any number of sensor or systems including the PCM, TCM, TCCM, radio headunit, radio amp (if you have the infinity unit or an aftermarket system) or anything that is plugged into a cigarette lighter (or any other system that runs off the trucks electrical system)

also a side not, you should disconnect the negative cable instead of the positive since the negative is the ground (goes to the frame) if you happen to hit the frame (with the wrench) while unbolting the battery cable you wont short the system out or hurt/kill yourself by shorting the system through YOU

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 10-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
mzygmunt

Originally Posted by BDBax
My previous jeep would do that every so often. There's a connection just behind the dash that would disconnect. Considering you just had the alarm installed that would be where I'd check first. Just my .02...
thanks for that, I'll have to look into it cuz I just ended up disconnecting the damn alarm completely and it went a few days without out doing it. However, I go out to do some training in the field for the weekend and when I get back sure enough same thing... just weird

Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. What a terrible (and stupid) idea to touch modern computer controlled eletrical connections from the battery together EVER.

Also what a terrible (and stupid) "dodge" friend for recommending such a thing. Had he been a "Tech" and had he worked for "Dodge", perhaps he would have have a FSM to refer to.

Resetting the Durango PCM
- First: You disconnect the NEG cable, not the POS cable.
- Second: With the cable disconnected and safely placed away from the terminal and other metals, you simply turn and hold the key as if you were trying to start the vehicle.
- Third: Hold the key in the start position for 10 seconds. It isn't starting or turning over of course.
- Fourth: Repeat the 'starting' process two additional times.
- Fifth: Reconnect the NEG battery terminal

Done. PCM is reset PROPERLY.

IndyDurango

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All I can say is WOW!

Quick Reply: odometer reading "no bus"